Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Thinking about posing nude...  (Read 12473 times)

Offline jim_24601

• PS Silver Member
Re: Thinking about posing nude...
Reply #50 on: September 27, 2005, 11:14:09 AM
LAST comment,
i don't think that will help the stage fear, well, unless u play piano nude on stage...

Like this? https://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/compdiff/nudeorga.jpg

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: September 27, 2005, 11:18:47 AM
er... he is not really naked, he is wearing a tie. ::)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: September 27, 2005, 02:55:01 PM
sorry im too young to approach this topic maturely so i think i better not post  ;D

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: September 28, 2005, 12:39:02 PM
sorry im too young to approach this topic maturely so i think i better not post  ;D

How old (young ;D) are you then if I may ask? :P

- BB
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." - Maurice Ravel

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: September 28, 2005, 02:56:42 PM
christianity didn't try to put a halt to biology.  otherwise, birth control would be used more.

I think that just about agrees with what I meant.
Guilt is another favourite weapon.

what would posing nude do for a person except embarrass them?

Why would it embarrass them? It might embarrass you, of course. Roald Dahl's short story is a warning about that societies taboos, not about posing for an artist.

Generally, the idea about life drawing is to see anatomy so you can learn to draw it.

It's academic. Much like the dissections performed to teach Doctors, except perhaps, when they had one shown on TV here, there was probably enough fear and disgust response by the red gooey bits that the nakedness didn't trigger.

A lot of 3d modelling sites have a few that get their knickers in a twist when, inevitably, the odd work in progress has naked humans in it, even though they aren't real people - otoh they also have a fair few of the age that get excited looking at the bra section in a home shopping catalogue creating them to blur the line about whether it's art.

Those 3d sites also show, inadvertantly, why to use real people for it - because if someone posted a 100% accurate 3d model of themselves, correct in every detail and proportion, to a 3d modelling site, 50% of the comments would be "The nose is too big" "The ears are too low" "The butt sticks out too much" "the thumbs are too small" etc etc - in other words the naive strive for a perfection in proportion and assume that, the very things that make someone look like they do, and not like someone else are "mistakes" when it comes to art.

Ironically, despite the clear desire amongst many to see certain parts of anatomy, even when the context isn't sexual or intimate at all - from which you'd suspect that, given the opportunity, they'd have done it as often as possible - much of learning to draw is more or less about realising you've never really looked at it at all.

So I would say it's no big deal. It's about anatomy - and there are better places to see naked people in the context of them being "hot" or provocative etc where you can get embarrassed for the people doing it. But it's a good thing that some aren't for this specific thing.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: May 25, 2007, 05:15:57 AM
I just met someone, actually, who had this on his resume.  He is a tenor and a student at a conservatory, and I met him at a professional class for Opera singers two weekends ago.  One of the masters of the class pulled up a chair next to him, and mentioned to him that she saw on his resume that he had "nude modeling for an art class" on there, and she mentioned that this is unique and that it definitely stands out.  They went on talking a bit about it.

Remembering this thread, I had a little laugh to myself and tuned the rest of the conversation out -- but, I will say, it seemed to make a favorable impression  :).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: May 25, 2007, 06:36:59 AM
What exactly stood out, m1469 ?
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: May 25, 2007, 02:58:11 PM
The fact that he had "nude modeling" on his resume -- it's "different," I guess :).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: May 25, 2007, 03:48:16 PM
haha Perfect for nude opera roles, are there many? ;)
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: May 25, 2007, 04:01:27 PM
I don't know.  :)

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: May 25, 2007, 04:10:26 PM
I'd write one just for you then  ;D :P
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:27 PM
u seen me nude, havent ya, mayla?
dignity, love and joy.

Offline oscarr111111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: May 25, 2007, 06:13:46 PM
I've never performed anything on piano but I've played a couple of gigs on bass guitar where I had almost no previous experience with the material or the band, I was given a few chord sheets on the night but I'm not sure they were even entirely accurate, I just had to improvise along by ear really.  This was actually my first ever live gig.

At first I was pretty terrified, standing on an elevated stage with everyone watching you, but part way through the first song I realized something: "This is what I've put all this time into music for, there is nowhere in the world I'd rather be!".  As soon as I realized this I just started enjoying myself and my playing improved too, no more nervousness; just excitement.  At the end the band announced that it was my first gig and I got a round of applause, afterwards a couple of people commented that my playing was good for a first gig.

Perhaps this story will help some of you realize the same thing I did.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: May 25, 2007, 09:57:18 PM
I've never performed anything on piano but I've played a couple of gigs on bass guitar where I had almost no previous experience with the material or the band, I was given a few chord sheets on the night but I'm not sure they were even entirely accurate, I just had to improvise along by ear really.  This was actually my first ever live gig.

At first I was pretty terrified, standing on an elevated stage with everyone watching you, but part way through the first song I realized something: "This is what I've put all this time into music for, there is nowhere in the world I'd rather be!".  As soon as I realized this I just started enjoying myself and my playing improved too, no more nervousness; just excitement.  At the end the band announced that it was my first gig and I got a round of applause, afterwards a couple of people commented that my playing was good for a first gig.

Perhaps this story will help some of you realize the same thing I did.

This is cool and very much what I sometimes (recently rather often) think it is about. :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert