Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: J. Quentin Kim - Springtime Glances  (Read 571 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
J. Quentin Kim - Springtime Glances
on: May 17, 2021, 12:26:46 PM
this is a suite of 8 miniature mood pieces, composed in 2011 by Korean composer John Quentin Kim.

i described his music as a mixture of Saint-Saëns and Mahler which he seemed to enjoy. there is a light textural quality, as in S-S, but also a brooding chromatic harmony and unusual voice-leading that reminds me of sparser Mahler moments.

for me, this suite captures a perfect balance of lyrical, melancholic, and spirited moods. it brought to mind spring weather, which can change on a dime.

so for the video itself, i wanted to use the church windows to reflect the "climate" of each little piece. to that end a lot of video technique went into this, but it was just a vision i had. so if you don't enjoy that, don't hold it against the music which is superb.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: J. Quentin Kim - Springtime Glances
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 09:06:28 PM
Very nice music and beautifully played! Where can one get the score of these pieces?

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Re: J. Quentin Kim - Springtime Glances
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 03:43:02 PM
Very nice music and beautifully played! Where can one get the score of these pieces?

so glad you enjoyed it ! i sent you a PM.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert