Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Flowers of Spring -- a long free-form improvisation  (Read 738 times)

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
I tried to do a long free-form improvisation à la Ted to see where it goes. It somehow manages to sound uplifting despite all of the chromaticism and general 'weirdness'.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Flowers of Spring -- a long free-form improvisation
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 05:20:46 AM
I liked a number of the transitions between ideas, and how one flowed naturally into the next.  25:08 was great how the arpeggios dissolved into a trill with lines below and above.

Improvisation can take us places we did not consider before starting to play.  You seemed to have an awareness of where the music wanted to go, as it has an overall flow to it.  Were you aiming for a particular length of music before you started to play?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Flowers of Spring -- a long free-form improvisation
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 09:18:03 AM
I liked a number of the transitions between ideas, and how one flowed naturally into the next.  25:08 was great how the arpeggios dissolved into a trill with lines below and above.
Thanks so much for listening, quantum! I listened back to that portion, and it turned out a bit better than I had expected.

Improvisation can take us places we did not consider before starting to play.  You seemed to have an awareness of where the music wanted to go, as it has an overall flow to it.  Were you aiming for a particular length of music before you started to play?
I find this very interesting. As a matter of fact, no, I was trying to be as "hands-off" with my approach as possible in this case. I just sat down at the piano with an aim to noodle, to let the music flow and to let my subconscious do its thing, and didn't set any parameters whatsoever in terms of duration or harmonic content. I didn't even sit down with the intent to make an improvisation as such -- I was just tired of practicing pieces all of the time, and wanted some true spontaneity back. There was little conscious thought involved.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert