Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Am I capable of playing Fantaisie-Impromptu?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline tingzj2000

• PS Silver Member
Am I capable of playing Fantaisie-Impromptu?
on: June 09, 2021, 02:29:52 PM
One of my dream pieces for a long time. Scanned through this piece and for me it's not tremendously hard. I did Liszt Consolation No. 3 before, so polyrhythm is not really a big deal for me. But the Henle Difficulty 7 did stopped me from playing this piece.

Is there any preliminary pieces or etudes to learn before learning this piece?

The piece that I am currently working on:
  • Chopin Nocturne Op. 9/2
  • Chopin Waltz Op. 64/2
  • Bach Prelude in Cm (WTC Book 1)

Offline dogperson

Re: Am I capable of playing Fantaisie-Impromptu?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 04:29:51 PM
It looks like you have some relevant experience, so why don’t you give it a try?  I would encourage you to play it at a speed where the notes are even and there is musicality.

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 05:56:58 PM
One of my dream pieces for a long time. Scanned through this piece and for me it's not tremendously hard. I did Liszt Consolation No. 3 before, so polyrhythm is not really a big deal for me. But the Henle Difficulty 7 did stopped me from playing this piece.

Is there any preliminary pieces or etudes to learn before learning this piece?

The piece that I am currently working on:
  • Chopin Nocturne Op. 9/2
  • Chopin Waltz Op. 64/2
  • Bach Prelude in Cm (WTC Book 1)
There are two versions in the new Henle edition. I think the Rubinstein edition seems to be more difficult. Maybe Henle gives 7 for that one. You could try the Fontana edition? Which I personally like more and it is more comfortable for sure

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 07:19:32 PM
I have heard some people suggest trying out Chopin etude op 25 no 2 first, and another piece which I can't remember.

There should be no harm in trying it out, but I've experienced that the FI is devilishly hard if you want to play it really well.

Maybe it's just online trolling, but I got a lot of hate back in the day for posting a version of FI which was not so great (not on this site). I'm not sure now if I know what it means to be able to really "play" the piece.You can learn to play the notes with some practice, but you won't be able to play it at a high level without some more development of your technical skills. Maybe that's a better way to put it.

Ideally, you would want to have a teacher who can show you what makes the piece difficult. There are some passages that are a real PITA to get even.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 05:56:51 PM
Try it out.  Take small sections from all over the piece and see how they go.  Come back here with any specific questions that arise.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 10:17:54 AM
I will never understand this weird culture of fear in the classical piano world. Like literally bro just get the sheet music, place it on your piano, and start learning it. If it ends up being too hard and you hit a wall, put it down and move on. I'd expect this sort of question from a 1 month beginner, but you're literally already an intermediate-level pianist. Get into the habit of experimenting with music, and don't be afraid failing either. Failing and being aware of what you failed at is the first step to improving as a pianist and a musician altogether.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert