Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rhapsody for a Dusty Chair  (Read 1496 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Rhapsody for a Dusty Chair
on: June 21, 2021, 09:13:15 PM

It is a sunny morning, there is a calm breeze, the birds are singing, but the chair is dusty!  Oh what tragedy!

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rhapsody for a Dusty Chair
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:53:19 AM
When, many years ago, Noel Coward and Sefton Daly visited my teacher, Coward refused to sit down because the chair was too dusty. My teacher spoke to me of the embarrassment he suffered but imagine how shattered the chair must have felt. This white chair has obviously incurred severe depression at the thought of how many illustrious backsides it has failed to support owing to its grubbiness.

A splendid modern treat, Neil, worthy to stand alongside the Walk to School and the Attack of the Flies in its sinister and numinous implication. I like the evocative, roaring scales in the bass, they recall Chasse Neige and St Francis Walks on the Water; how Liszt must have enjoyed ripping such figures out. The variety, speed and unerring accuracy of your modern keyboard vocabulary is testimony to the years of work you must have put into it.

Personally, I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp theory of dust, which asserts that once dust builds to a certain critical level it never becomes any worse. Unfortunately, my wife embraces a contrary belief.   
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 03:40:32 PM
When, many years ago, Noel Coward and Sefton Daly visited my teacher, Coward refused to sit down because the chair was too dusty. My teacher spoke to me of the embarrassment he suffered but imagine how shattered the chair must have felt. This white chair has obviously incurred severe depression at the thought of how many illustrious backsides it has failed to support owing to its grubbiness.

A splendid modern treat, Neil, worthy to stand alongside the Walk to School and the Attack of the Flies in its sinister and numinous implication. I like the evocative, roaring scales in the bass, they recall Chasse Neige and St Francis Walks on the Water; how Liszt must have enjoyed ripping such figures out. The variety, speed and unerring accuracy of your modern keyboard vocabulary is testimony to the years of work you must have put into it.

Personally, I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp theory of dust, which asserts that once dust builds to a certain critical level it never becomes any worse. Unfortunately, my wife embraces a contrary belief.

Thanks for listing, Ted!  That's a great story. 

One of my aims in studying repertoire has been to learn how other composers use the piano in colourful and innovative ways, and build upon these ideas in my improvisations.  Sometimes, it may happen subconsciously that these ideas get worked into my own music. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline kalospiano

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 12:28:36 PM
Damn, you sure sound upset about that chair! Time to pull up the good old duster.
Can definitely hear a lot of Chasse Neige as Ted said, with those chromatic runs sprinkled through the piece like at about 1:40 and 5:30something. Picturing whirlwinds of dust eating up the poor chair

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 05:23:04 AM
Damn, you sure sound upset about that chair! Time to pull up the good old duster.
Can definitely hear a lot of Chasse Neige as Ted said, with those chromatic runs sprinkled through the piece like at about 1:40 and 5:30something. Picturing whirlwinds of dust eating up the poor chair

Thanks for listening, kalospiano!

Sometimes musical ideas can grow out of such mundane things  ;D

Offline pianopariss

Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 09:33:09 PM
Thanks for this improvisation, I am glad to listen to this free and open expression of feelings. The presence of Liszt in the octaves and of a late romantic mood is very nice.
It gives me several ideas, because I did some improvisations influenced by the classical composers. So I appreciate what you have done.
Greetings

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 10:54:07 AM
Thanks for listening!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert