Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What repertoire are y'all working on this summer?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
What repertoire are y'all working on this summer?
on: July 12, 2021, 12:41:20 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm curious what repertoire you are working on this summer? I'm working on some Chopin Etudes, as well as some random pieces. I also started working on Fantasie-Impromptu recently, which I have never played, despite having known it for over 15 years at this point, and I'm also working on the Nocturne op. 36 by Fauré. Would love to hear what you are playing and potentially get inspired for what my next piece is going to be  :D

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Re: What repertoire are y'all working on this summer?
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 04:06:57 PM
Which Chopin Etudes are you learning?

My main summer project is Scriabin's Sonata op.62. I'm still looking for shorter/lighter pieces to go with it (I have plenty of choice, I'm just indecisive  ;))

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 04:16:29 PM
I'm working on a house recital for late August that will have this program

Mozart Sonata in Eb K282
Debussy La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin
Janacek Andante from "In the Mists"
Schumann Romance Opus 28 #2
Chopin Nocturne in G minor Opus 15 #3

Debussy La Cathedral Engloutie
Shostakovich Prelude and Fugue in C major
Bach WTCI Prelude and Fugue in C minor
Bach/Brahms Chaconne from the D minor violin Partita arranged for left hand

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 11:21:29 PM

Mozart Sonata in Eb K282

I love how varied your program is!

I'm just playing whatever right now. Everything from Rameau to Liszt to Medtner to Mozart to Chopin. I'm not really finishing anything but rather working on bits and pieces here and there and practising my reading skills.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:55:34 AM

Mozart Sonata in Eb K282

That is impressive!

As for me, scales.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 04:13:44 PM
Officially
Beethoven Bonn Sonatas complete  woO 77 (1 2 and 3)
Kapustin etudes op 40 nos 1,2,and 3

Possibly adding to this but it's fluid (few old stuff I worked in past may relearn),will update this as it s
Takes shape or if I commit to it/them now or post pone to later ie 2022 sometime

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 11:38:47 PM
Which Chopin Etudes are you learning?

My main summer project is Scriabin's Sonata op.62. I'm still looking for shorter/lighter pieces to go with it (I have plenty of choice, I'm just indecisive  ;))

I'm mostly focusing on op 10 no 7, 8, 10 and 11. They need a touch up :P

Which lighter pieces are your top picks/are you considering at this moment?

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 06:32:20 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm curious what repertoire you are working on this summer?

Well, I’m just relearning and polishing old stuff for a festival in Poland next week. :-\
It’s really boring working on it but I’m learning Scriabin’s 4th sonata on the side.

Repertoire for festival/competition/course:

Bach BWV 889
Brahms intermezzo op 117 no 2
Chopin etude op 10 no 12
Chopin etude op 25 no 2
Chopin mazurka op 50 no 3
Rachmaninov op 32 no 12
Scriabin op 12 no 2

I’m not working on this but I’m *planning* to work on something from the impressionistic era, something from a Bach suite, and a big piece by Chopin.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 09:14:06 AM
Program for Graduate School auditions and recitals:

-Bach, Prelude and Fugue in A-flat major, WTC I. My parents say my mom played this for my dad when they were dating)
-Beethoven, Sonata Op. 31 No. 3 "The Hunt." Perpetually struggling to find the proper touch for the last movement.
-Brahms, Intermezzo Op. 119. I know it's a lot of German music for one audition, but I promise this is after spending two years only playing French and Russian genres.
-Florence Price, Clouds. A recently-discovered piece by a black composer from early 20th-century America. Learned it for a class this spring, decided it should have a place in an otherwise very mono-cultural program.

Also working on the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata for my senior project, which will probably end with a lecture-recital. Pretty tough piece! Basically a piano concerto with cello obbligato; and a nice break from all the German textures.

Relearning the 5th Hungarian Rhapsody by Franz Liszt for a festival my teacher does every year as part of the American Liszt Society. This year, his studio is doing a complete cycle of Hungarian Rhapsodies! It's going to be incredible.  ;)

Want to learn a concerto eventually (Rhapsody in Blue, Saint-Saen's No. 2, and Rach 2 are all possibilities), but the graduate program is priority atm. In the fall I will continue my study of Chopin's complete Op. 10 (have studied 1, 4, 9 and 12 so far).

1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 11:41:11 PM
Program for Graduate School auditions and recitals:

-Bach, Prelude and Fugue in A-flat major, WTC I. My parents say my mom played this for my dad when they were dating)
-Beethoven, Sonata Op. 31 No. 3 "The Hunt." Perpetually struggling to find the proper touch for the last movement.
-Brahms, Intermezzo Op. 119. I know it's a lot of German music for one audition, but I promise this is after spending two years only playing French and Russian genres.
-Florence Price, Clouds. A recently-discovered piece by a black composer from early 20th-century America. Learned it for a class this spring, decided it should have a place in an otherwise very mono-cultural program.

Also working on the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata for my senior project, which will probably end with a lecture-recital. Pretty tough piece! Basically a piano concerto with cello obbligato; and a nice break from all the German textures.

Relearning the 5th Hungarian Rhapsody by Franz Liszt for a festival my teacher does every year as part of the American Liszt Society. This year, his studio is doing a complete cycle of Hungarian Rhapsodies! It's going to be incredible.  ;)

Want to learn a concerto eventually (Rhapsody in Blue, Saint-Saen's No. 2, and Rach 2 are all possibilities), but the graduate program is priority atm. In the fall I will continue my study of Chopin's complete Op. 10 (have studied 1, 4, 9 and 12 so far).

Nice program. That Bach P&F is really quite wonderful. What about the touch in the last movement of the Beethoven do you feel you are not nailing? I feel that sometimes the more you obsess about details the more you struggle to get it right. Sometimes it can work to zoom out, hone in on what feels right inside your head, and then try to reproduce that on the piano, and just do your best to refine that over time. So it's deciding, then refining, rather than perpetually searching, if that makes sense.

Offline mozart gang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 10:14:05 AM
im currently working on bach's sixth french suite, chopin etudes op 25 no 1,2, and moszkowski etude op 72 no2 and beethoven sonata no 5.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 03:03:59 PM
Nice program. That Bach P&F is really quite wonderful. What about the touch in the last movement of the Beethoven do you feel you are not nailing? I feel that sometimes the more you obsess about details the more you struggle to get it right. Sometimes it can work to zoom out, hone in on what feels right inside your head, and then try to reproduce that on the piano, and just do your best to refine that over time. So it's deciding, then refining, rather than perpetually searching, if that makes sense.

It's mainly the left hand triplets. Obviously I can play them slowly (and I know I should practice them as such), but I have been having trouble finding the right sound. You are right about details, I become far to focused on them too soon (out of habit). I have a very specific idea of how Beethoven triplets are to be played: just enough emphasis on the first note of each beat to give a bounce and shape to the whole thing, and an ever-so-slight detachment between each of the eighth notes to give each one its one identity, rather than letting them all run together. This is how I was instructed to play the triplets in Beethoven's Violin Sonata in D major, which has similar figurations at different points. However, it also makes it much harder to play them at speed than, say, something of Romantic texture like a Chopin nocturne or prelude. I'll send a video later today to show what I mean.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert