Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Sharing tips on Alkan Ouverture Etude (Op.39no.11)  (Read 767 times)

Offline nfp001

• PS Silver Member
Hi guys,

Any interesting practice tips or methods to build the different sections of this piece in the most efficient and effective manner would be very appreciated. Does anyone have the sheet music with complete fingerings, I would really be curious to get another point of view on those and then adjust if necessary.

Peace,

NF

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Sharing tips on Alkan Ouverture Etude (Op.39no.11)
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:43:38 PM
It's a very broad question. Could you post some specific parts you are having trouble with, rather than asking about the whole piece?

Offline nfp001

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 10:42:03 AM
I just started learning it. I will take it slowly and probably work on other things at the same time, get some space from it and then work on a small sections when I get the chance. So more of a long term learning process on this one. The reason why I was asking for fingerings is because I like to have suggested fingerings from the editor at the start so I can mess around with them and get comfortable after trial and error and I didn’t find an edition where they were included. 

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 11:57:50 PM
From what I've seen, Alkan editions often lack fingerings. Alkan was such a virtuoso and his pieces are so hard that I guess it's assumed that people who tackle his music will be virtuosos themselves who know what fingerings they need. Which is frustrating for everyone else!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert