Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Advice on LTCL Repertoire  (Read 1677 times)

Offline sy.copper

• PS Silver Member
Advice on LTCL Repertoire
on: July 14, 2021, 09:10:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently practicing and planning for my LTCL recital, and want some advice on my repertoire. Well, here it is below (times are included):

Chopin Études, op. 25 no. 9 in G♭ major       02:12      
Chopin Études, op. 25 no. 11 in A minor      03:41

Grandes études de Paganini, Étude No. 3 in G♯ minor  “La Campanella”      05:00

Haydn Sonata in E♭, Hob XVI/52         14:43

Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues, op. 87:
No. 4 in E minor         08:30
No. 17 in A♭ major      05:10

Rimsky-Korsakov/Rachmaninov The Flight of the Bumblebee      01:17

Total time (min. 37 - max. 43):               40:33

The timing for each of the songs are selected from the professional recordings (the ones on Youtube/Spotify that I found), so they are only approximate.

In terms of difficulty, I don't think the pieces are typically VERY VERY difficult (I received a 93/100 mark for my ATCL recital) for me.

I've heard that the recital programmes/repertoires have to be balanced (in terms of periods, composers, speed, style etc.). What do you guys think of this program? Is it balanced?

Any suggestions or constructive advice is welcome. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice on LTCL Repertoire
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 12:30:42 PM
It could be a lot more balanced. You have three Romantic etudes, and three of the most overplayed at that. I'd personally class the Bumblebee transcription as an overplayed etude too. You also have two Preludes and Fugues by the same composer (not sure this is even allowed unless the syllabus specifically says so).

You obviously like your Preludes and Fugues and your Etudes and I don't see a problem with building a program around these genres. But you can have a lot more balance within this: pair a Bach P+F with one of the Shostakovich, pick a less obvious Romantic-style etude (Alkan, Rachmaninov) and pair it with some modern etudes like Debussy, Ligeti, Kapustin etc.

Don't feel you "have" to play a Sonata if the theme of your program is other genres. I know someone who passed the LTCL with distinction without playing a Sonata.

Good luck!

Offline sy.copper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice on LTCL Repertoire
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 03:07:57 PM
Thanks for your advice!

In terms of the Shostakovich P&F, the repertoire list provided says "Preludes and Fugues, op. 87: any one or more of the following" then lists 4 of the op. 87 P&Fs.

For my ATCL recital, I played 1 Chopin Nocturne, 1 Bach French Suite, and 1 Mozart sonata. I ruled out Mozart for my LTCL, since many other people said that Mozart was not recommended for the repertoire, so I went for the Haydn sonata.

I also had another repertoire that I made just in case the timing wasn't right. Here it is:

Rachmaninov Preludes, op. 23
no. 4 in D major               05:32
no. 5 in G minor               03:51

Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues, op. 87
No. 4 in E minor               08:30

Chopin Polonaise in A♭, op. 53            06:50

Haydn Sonata in E♭, Hob XVI/52         14:43

Total time (37 - 43):                    38:36

I think this repertoire (the newly posted one) is more balanced. The problem with Bach's P&Fs is that you have to play a specific selection of them from the LTCL repertoire list, which has a minimum of 4 P&Fs (this might affect the timing and balance as well...)
Your suggestion with the less-obvious Romantic etudes (Rachmaninov) and the modern etudes is excellent! I look forward to making some changes to my repertoire.

Thanks again, I will take your advice into serious consideration.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert