Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: does nervousness ever let your performance down?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline musical_fingers

• PS Silver Member
does nervousness ever let your performance down?
on: February 08, 2005, 05:51:57 AM
does nervousness ever let your performance down? how do you overcome nervousness from affecting your performance -especially in the openings!! ? :( :o 8)
ta
ness :-)

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Re: does nervousness ever let your performance down?
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 05:59:18 AM
Making sure I'm warmed up, hearing the music in my mind before I play, breathing deeply, exuding an air of confidence, and of course heroin.

Just kidding......

I don't warm up :D

You'll probably find loads of suggestions by doing a search on this subject (the little button at the top of the screen with a picture of a little earth and a magnifying glass).

Peace,
Bri

Offline Goldberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 01:00:32 PM
Nowadays, I rarely get nervous, at least to a point where it disrupts my playing like it would a few years ago; instead, I've learned how to harness any nervousness I happen to encounter into excitement, to be translated into my performance for the audience. I'm always happy to be on stage, and doing so gives me an enormous rush, but not really nervousness. But it didn't always used to be that way. My best advice is to learn how to breathe deeply and easily while waiting for your time to get up there; concentrate on hardly anything at all except for your breathing, and if you do it deeply enough and focus on the right things, you'll manage to calm yourself down and slow your heart rate; given about 2 or 3 minutes, you should be your normal self, but more energetic than nervous.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 02:40:01 PM
Everyone gets nervous and sometimes it even gets the better of the best. It's absoulutely natural BUT i ve found it's helpful to think more about the music than the situation. ie don't think I'm scared I have to go out there and perform this big piece. I sit there now and think. That's a beautiful opening and then it goes on and does this and so on that way i keep the piece in my mind and the audience worry is minimised.

Offline earthward

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 01:05:57 AM
 Breathing works amazingly well because if you can control your breathing and keep it to a normal level it gives you a foot-hold against the nagging fears in your head.  When I do this I'm still nervous but at least I feel more in control.  When I get up to perform I feel more calm and objective and I can focus on trying to create the music instead of thinking "oh my god I'm so tense I don't know if I can hold on to the end." 

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 05:35:31 AM
Remember to express rather than impress. That means you shouldn't think "Oh boy I hope I hit all of those thirds in the coda to the fourth ballade". Rather, "I can hear how well I can phrase those thirds".

When you sit down, as many people have said, the most important thing to do is sit there, breathe, think about the music you are about to play. Not the piece- but the first phrase. As my teacher said "Now don't think you're going to sit down and play this Etude (Op. 10 No. 4), you're going to sit down and think you're going to play the first phrase of this Etude, then the second..."

Above all, it's music- enjoy it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert