Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: Moonlight Mvt. 2 difficulty  (Read 2204 times)

Offline mmateas

• PS Silver Member
Moonlight Mvt. 2 difficulty
on: August 23, 2021, 06:49:41 PM
Hi there!

First of all, I just want to clarify the fact that I almost finished studying the piece I'm writing about. I'm just curious, what's your opinion regarding the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (as it is not as "popular" as the other two)? Everything, from sound to "issues" students may face while practicing.

Does it present technical difficulties? I'm pretty sure it does have some. These staccatos may be a little bit frustrating while playing the piece in its normal tempo.

What about the grade?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Moonlight Mvt. 2 difficulty
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 07:50:13 PM
Can't help with the grade, but I love that movement. Somebody called it "un fleur entre deux abimes," a flower between two abysses.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 10:35:55 PM
Can't help with the grade, but I love that movement. Somebody called it "un fleur entre deux abimes," a flower between two abysses.

I think that was Liszt but I'm not 100% sure!

The movement is not very difficult but as with anything in piano I think you need to be very skilled to play it really well. A bit more difficult than the 1st movement, and way less difficult than the 3rd movmnt.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 12:37:16 PM
I think it is reflective of movements from earlier Beethoven sonatas, much more so than the two outer movements.  Lots of opportunity for characteristic Beethoven expressions, elegance and dynamic contrasts. 

Not too technically difficult.  Listen to some of the earlier Beethoven sonatas to better understand the style. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline jacobson747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:09:54 PM
The Scherzo of Beethoven’s Op. 27 #2 is a gem (as is the entire sonata).  It is interesting to compare the trio of this scherzo with the trio of the scherzo of his op 26 piano sonata written in the same year 1801.  Beethoven appears to have borrowed from the op 26 trio, but in a syncopated way, for the moonlight sonata. The trio of op. 27 #2 scherzo is the winner for me of the 2 trios.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert