Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Competition predictions? I predict Aimi Kobayashi or Aristo Sham  (Read 2616 times)

Offline pianophile

• PS Silver Member
Both super-world-class. I somewhat prefer Aimi Kobayashi, but these are, hands down, my two favorites among the competitors.
Frédéric Chopin:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
I've been following the competition pretty closely. The Japanese pianists are sure on fire.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Any favourites so far?

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
I like the Vietnamese Polish guy. Don't know his name though.

EDIT: Name is Nguyen Viet Trung

Offline pianophile

• PS Silver Member
Tempted to retract. Do you ever form an adamant opinion, then say, “Oh, did I really think that???” Aristo Sham, I completely overrated on my first hearing/view. Aimi Kobayashi: very talented, but not the next Arthur Rubinstein.

So I ask in earnest, have you folks been following this competition, and forming preferences? Sorita from Japan is pretty good, but I increasingly feel people are sort of getting shallower over time.

The musicians don’t seem to be particularly intellectual or especially thoughtful about the music. They have some wonderful, poetic moments (Avery Gagliano), but generally these seem like kind of shallow people, at least the ones getting most of the attention.

Are any of the competitors on the more educated or intellectual side? Seem like a lot of technicians, who mask superficiality by sometimes quite coarse emotional displays and theatrics of various kinds.

Offline kairosophia

My favourite is Sorita. I also liked Sawada's performance in the second stage, sad that he didn't advance. Also Mun. Strange decisions by the jury, so many poles.
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo
My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgRBbMMqD7SAI_jobgXzoIA

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Tempted to retract. Do you ever form an adamant opinion, then say, “Oh, did I really think that???” Aristo Sham, I completely overrated on my first hearing/view. Aimi Kobayashi: very talented, but not the next Arthur Rubinstein.

So I ask in earnest, have you folks been following this competition, and forming preferences? Sorita from Japan is pretty good, but I increasingly feel people are sort of getting shallower over time.

The musicians don’t seem to be particularly intellectual or especially thoughtful about the music. They have some wonderful, poetic moments (Avery Gagliano), but generally these seem like kind of shallow people, at least the ones getting most of the attention.

Are any of the competitors on the more educated or intellectual side? Seem like a lot of technicians, who mask superficiality by sometimes quite coarse emotional displays and theatrics of various kinds.

The vast majority of these contestants are in their late teens to mid 20s, and you're sitting here calling them shallow and expecting them to become the next Arthur Rubinstein.

Also I remember a member here setting up the 2020 competition as their goal and I've yet to see them in the preliminaries. Did you give up, AJ?!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
My boi Hayato has had some stellar moments , big fan and supporter of his

Offline kairosophia

To be honest, following todays session Armellini comes first, followed bei Hao Rao and then Sorita. Kamil Pacholec clearly out. Still looking forward to Aimi.
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo
My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgRBbMMqD7SAI_jobgXzoIA

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Yundi Li arrested in China, on charges of 'soliciting prostitution'. Pity. I bet the charges are trumped up. It's been a long fall for Li, with his decline in quality of his performances. He is truly lost.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
What does that have to do with this year's Chopin Competition?

Offline dogperson

What does that have to do with this year's Chopin Competition?

And is there any reason the bad news/rumors need to be posted here?  The whole post seems nothing but mean-spirited

Offline frodo1

• PS Silver Member
I predict Bruce Liu will win haha.

Congratulations to Bruce Liu for winning the 18th International Chopin Competition.  Final round performance of Chopin’s Concerto in E minor, Op. 11:

Perfection.  Not only perfect performance, the acoustics, recording quality, tuning and preparation of the Fazioli are all perfect to my ear.  Ending of 3rd mvt with "wrong" flatted 7th note in bass - sounds great to my ear - he had Chopin's prelude 23 in mind perhaps?  Superb performance!  I believe you can have perfection with a few missed notes.  This performance by Liu is PERFECT to my ears!

Offline virginofthepiano

• PS Silver Member
Im sure Chopin wouldnt win this contest.

Offline dogperson

It’s funny that those that make this statement that they’re sure Chopin wouldn’t win never provide any reason.

None of us can be sure of the result, as we have never heard Chopin play.  But based on the critical reviews following his performances. Written comments made by renowned composers and performers at the time, my money would be on Chopin.

Offline frodo1

• PS Silver Member

If you don’t mind my asking, on what basis do you make this statement?  I’m also sure that Chopin wouldn’t win this contest, but my reasoning may be different than yours. 

Chopin was not alive at the time of this contest.  Therefore, he wouldn’t be able to participate in and win this contest.  For this reason, I'm sure that Chopin wouldn't win this contest.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member

I must wholeheartedly disagree. Chopin as a young pianist, the Chopin who performed in Paris alongside Liszt and played both his Concertos and Krakowiak Rondo frequently with orchestra, to the great pleasure of all who listened, would have been more than willing to play in a contest like this, and likely would have steamrolled all competition. Even Liszt regarded Chopin as a better pianist than himself.

The later Chopin, the one weakened by tuberculosis and deeply involved in his composing, would have been content to listen and/or judge the contest, having no need or desire for further public exposure.

The old Chopin (old meaning 35-ish years old, since he only lived to 39) would probably not go near it--and would likely have many disparaging things to say about all but the most talented performers.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline frodo1

• PS Silver Member
I must wholeheartedly disagree. Chopin as a young pianist, the Chopin who performed in Paris alongside Liszt and played both his Concertos and Krakowiak Rondo frequently with orchestra, to the great pleasure of all who listened, would have been more than willing to play in a contest like this, and likely would have steamrolled all competition. Even Liszt regarded Chopin as a better pianist than himself.

The later Chopin, the one weakened by tuberculosis and deeply involved in his composing, would have been content to listen and/or judge the contest, having no need or desire for further public exposure.

The old Chopin (old meaning 35-ish years old, since he only lived to 39) would probably not go near it--and would likely have many disparaging things to say about all but the most talented performers.

I agree with everything here.  I would like to think that old Chopin would have approved of Bruce Liu's superb performance of his concerto #1 in the final round of the competition. 

We will never know how Chopin sounded beyond verbal descriptions.  I believe the best you can do to approximate how Chopin sounded is to listen to your favorite Chopin performer playing your favorite Chopin works.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
I have not particularly enjoyed the playing of the winners in this competition but I'll check out Bruce Liu's performance.

Offline frodo1

• PS Silver Member
I have not particularly enjoyed the playing of the winners in this competition but I'll check out Bruce Liu's performance.

Great!  Here is link to the final round performance - this is the one to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcOjKXIR8Iw&t=437s

Offline virginofthepiano

• PS Silver Member

It’s funny that those that make this statement that they’re sure Chopin wouldn’t win never provide any reason.

Well listen to cortot and tell me if that guy will win any contest today. And he was considered closest to chopin's playing

People win now if they are machines which i'm sure chopin was not

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Well listen to cortot and tell me if that guy will win any contest today. And he was considered closest to chopin's playing

People win now if they are machines which i'm sure chopin was not

I wouldn't say he was considered being closest to Chopin's playing, considering his quite extreme and personal rubato (which I happen to love), arpeggiating chords and other things that Chopin is reported to not have done the way Cortot does in his recordings. But to me, he best captures the spirit of Chopin, as I like to hear it, in many works.

Offline frodo1

• PS Silver Member
I wouldn't say he was considered being closest to Chopin's playing, considering his quite extreme and personal rubato (which I happen to love), arpeggiating chords and other things that Chopin is reported to not have done the way Cortot does in his recordings. But to me, he best captures the spirit of Chopin, as I like to hear it, in many works.

You probably won't like Bruce Liu's performance then.  I think a lot has to do with what you heard as a child.  I grew up listening to Jose Iturbi, Alexander Brailowsky and Arthur Rubinstein playing Chopin. So my ear is biased to these sounds.  Bruce Liu instantly fit in well to my biased ear.

Edit:  I'm listening as I type to Cortot playing Chopin concerto #2 live in 1944.  Can't find 1st concerto.  He sounds GREAT to me!  (What is that whistling in 3rd mvt - weird.  Oops, skip in recording.)  Maybe my ear isn't so biased after all.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
You probably won't like Bruce Liu's performance then.  I think a lot has to do with what you heard as a child.  I grew up listening to Jose Iturbi, Alexander Brailowsky and Arthur Rubinstein playing Chopin. So my ear is biased to these sounds.  Bruce Liu instantly fit in well to my biased ear.

Edit:  I'm listening as I type to Cortot playing Chopin concerto #2 live in 1944.  Can't find 1st concerto.  He sounds GREAT to me!  (What is that whistling in 3rd mvt - weird.  Oops, skip in recording.)  Maybe my ear isn't so biased after all.

Cortot's 1935 recording is also fantastic. Especially the second movement is out of this world. I wish more people played like this in competitions. But I also understand that Cortot was nearly 60 at the time of recording, and that it's unfair to compare young people to old masters.

Offline frodo1

• PS Silver Member
Cortot's 1935 recording is also fantastic. Especially the second movement is out of this world. I wish more people played like this in competitions. But I also understand that Cortot was nearly 60 at the time of recording, and that it's unfair to compare young people to old masters.

Thanks.  I enjoyed hearing this.  I agree with your comment above.  I wonder how Cortot would have played this at age 24 in a modern Chopin competition.  We will never know.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert