\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Chopin Competition predictions? I predict Aimi Kobayashi or Aristo Sham (Read 730 times)

Offline pianophile

• PS Silver Member
Both super-world-class. I somewhat prefer Aimi Kobayashi, but these are, hands down, my two favorites among the competitors.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Competition predictions? I predict Aimi Kobayashi or Aristo Sham
«Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:37:11 PM »
I've been following the competition pretty closely. The Japanese pianists are sure on fire.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »
Any favourites so far?

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:09:36 PM »
I like the Vietnamese Polish guy. Don't know his name though.

EDIT: Name is Nguyen Viet Trung

Offline pianophile

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 06:36:27 AM »
Tempted to retract. Do you ever form an adamant opinion, then say, “Oh, did I really think that???” Aristo Sham, I completely overrated on my first hearing/view. Aimi Kobayashi: very talented, but not the next Arthur Rubinstein.

So I ask in earnest, have you folks been following this competition, and forming preferences? Sorita from Japan is pretty good, but I increasingly feel people are sort of getting shallower over time.

The musicians don’t seem to be particularly intellectual or especially thoughtful about the music. They have some wonderful, poetic moments (Avery Gagliano), but generally these seem like kind of shallow people, at least the ones getting most of the attention.

Are any of the competitors on the more educated or intellectual side? Seem like a lot of technicians, who mask superficiality by sometimes quite coarse emotional displays and theatrics of various kinds.

Offline kairosophia

«Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »
My favourite is Sorita. I also liked Sawada's performance in the second stage, sad that he didn't advance. Also Mun. Strange decisions by the jury, so many poles.
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo
My YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgRBbMMqD7SAI_jobgXzoIA

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 06:19:59 AM »
Tempted to retract. Do you ever form an adamant opinion, then say, “Oh, did I really think that???” Aristo Sham, I completely overrated on my first hearing/view. Aimi Kobayashi: very talented, but not the next Arthur Rubinstein.

So I ask in earnest, have you folks been following this competition, and forming preferences? Sorita from Japan is pretty good, but I increasingly feel people are sort of getting shallower over time.

The musicians don’t seem to be particularly intellectual or especially thoughtful about the music. They have some wonderful, poetic moments (Avery Gagliano), but generally these seem like kind of shallow people, at least the ones getting most of the attention.

Are any of the competitors on the more educated or intellectual side? Seem like a lot of technicians, who mask superficiality by sometimes quite coarse emotional displays and theatrics of various kinds.

The vast majority of these contestants are in their late teens to mid 20s, and you're sitting here calling them shallow and expecting them to become the next Arthur Rubinstein.

Also I remember a member here setting up the 2020 competition as their goal and I've yet to see them in the preliminaries. Did you give up, AJ?!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
My boi Hayato has had some stellar moments , big fan and supporter of his

Offline kairosophia

«Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 09:03:38 PM »
To be honest, following todays session Armellini comes first, followed bei Hao Rao and then Sorita. Kamil Pacholec clearly out. Still looking forward to Aimi.
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo
My YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgRBbMMqD7SAI_jobgXzoIA

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 06:46:35 AM »
Yundi Li arrested in China, on charges of 'soliciting prostitution'. Pity. I bet the charges are trumped up. It's been a long fall for Li, with his decline in quality of his performances. He is truly lost.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Online lelle

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »
What does that have to do with this year's Chopin Competition?

Offline dogperson

«Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 12:59:51 AM »
What does that have to do with this year's Chopin Competition?

And is there any reason the bad news/rumors need to be posted here?  The whole post seems nothing but mean-spirited