Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: Repertoire to improve Scales  (Read 1614 times)

Offline cheeriosok

• PS Silver Member
Repertoire to improve Scales
on: October 12, 2021, 04:32:45 PM
Hello all,

I've been practicing scales, but I want to improve my speed while also making music.

I have been practicing Scarlatti K517. Something similar would be great!

Please recommend similar repertoire, etudes, exercises etc to improve scales. Thank you!!

(Level: Beginner/Intermediate)

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire to improve Scales
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 05:05:32 PM
The K. 517 is not fast enough to constitute 'improving speed in scales.'  If you can't already play an isolated scale at that tempo, then you shouldn't be trying to play that piece at all.  I think you should just pick pieces that you like, and continue practicing your scales like normal; there are lots of little rhythmic/dynamic games you can play with your scales that help you build up more confidence and speed, prolly you already know about them.  Of course there are also 2/3/4-finger exercises related to scales as well, especially thumb under/over stuff.

How about just learning some little passages from pieces that you love?  That seems better.  Like, learn the very end of the Chopin Ballade 1, with those parallel chromatics.  Kind of notorious for tripping up people just starting with that level of rep.  Many other examples like that, like from the Pas de Deux in the Pletnev Nutcracker, or maybe an extract from the Waldstein 3rd movement.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 10:10:43 PM
I've had a lot of progress since I started using some of the techniques recommended by Josh Wright in this video (and in others of his which you can easily find starting from this one).

&t=447s

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:19:40 PM
This is a nice one for right hand scales

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:53:24 PM
^That recording is awesommmmmeee

Wouldn't Mozart's sonata "facile" in C major be a good starting point?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 09:19:33 PM
Lots of pieces from the classical era would suffice, really. Clementi sonatinas, Haydn sonatas, Mozart sonatas...

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 11:09:50 PM
I played this piece when I wanted some moderate tempo scales to work on, while also getting to make some great music:

It's got some other rather tricky parts in it though.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 04:50:31 PM
Spend a few reading thru the Kabalevsky sonata no 3 in F op 46   
Although the entire thing would certainly move the right students playing fwd it may be a bit much in the development and "war music " B thematic sections but the lyrical A material is beautiful and would make for great short etude /excerpts to play , I did it years ago

However a former dear friend no longer w is that was a active in the board and an incredible musician and teacher  uploaded a beautiful performance here , listen to the first
Mov , others are great but not much "scaley" stuff

My old  video link appears In a tweet I did the other day
Feel free to follow for other shenanigans
(~‾▿‾)~
https://twitter.com/DeDanbo/status/1452025783233482756?t=Jq6S3sIK09Dw3La5ISoHMA&s=19

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=44423.0

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert