\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Opinion on piece? (Read 174 times)

Offline arieblock

• PS Silver Member
Opinion on piece?
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »
Forgive me if im not aloud to post this here. Im new lol. I wanted some opinions on these etudes I wrote.(it is not me playing)

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Opinion on piece?
«Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »
Good job! You have some nice sounding ideas there. I think you can think about:
* developing your ideas and going to new keys. The e minor piece stays in e minor throughout and is not very adventurous harmonically, and you could get a bit more variety in there. Many good composers play with our expectations - sometimes they give us what we expect, and sometimes they surprise us.
* Etude no 5 sounds like it should be in 3/4 but is notated in 6/8, is there a reason for that?

Keep it up and keep composing!

Offline arieblock

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 01:36:46 PM »
Thank you!I agree I should try to change keys more and mess more with things harmonically.Im still learning alot about the theory part of composing. Ive played classical piano for 8 years but composing is another animal lol. and as far as the 6/8 i just like that time signature lol

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:42:57 PM »
It certainly is another animal! The only way to learn is to keep creating, studying, seeing what works and what doesn't.

As for the 6/8, it's a cool time signature. Maybe you should write something specifically designed for that time signature. It can help you study more closely what makes 3/4 different from 6/8 (they're very different!)