Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Rautavaara Collections  (Read 1470 times)

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Rautavaara Collections
on: October 16, 2021, 03:53:45 AM
Anyone has full collections of Einojuhani Rautavaara's works? I have some of his works but not all, anyone having it could help me by providing it?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rautavaara Collections
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 04:20:08 AM
I'm absolutely blown away by people who refuse to actually buy the sheet music of their most beloved composers. It's a way of showing support that what they wrote is worth paying for, and that you respect the time and care they put into jotting down their music on paper.

It genuinely makes me sick. Music is something worth paying for, and every time people don't - you devalue it. I have an entire book case with Schirmer & Henle Verlag urtext editions of Chopin, Mozart... you name it.

Easy - one quick Google search. You can buy it from here:

https://en.schott-music.com/shop/autoren/einojuhani-rautavaara

or here:

https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/composers/8865--rautavaara

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 05:35:26 AM
This is the second of s total of two forum posts; both have  the same type of request:  send me a copy of the music you bought so I get it for free. 

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:33:50 AM
I'm absolutely blown away by people who refuse to actually buy the sheet music of their most beloved composers. It's a way of showing support that what they wrote is worth paying for, and that you respect the time and care they put into jotting down their music on paper.

Amen!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 05:10:13 PM
I'm sure the publisher with rights probably has them and happy to furnish them to you they usually trade the for something called money which gives you a license to use it for personal use under the terms of their copyright and licensing agreements

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 08:34:31 AM

It genuinely makes me sick. Music is something worth paying for, and every time people don't - you devalue it. I have an entire book case with Schirmer & Henle Verlag urtext editions of Chopin, Mozart... you name it.

Easy - one quick Google search. You can buy it from here:

https://en.schott-music.com/shop/autoren/einojuhani-rautavaara

or here:

https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/composers/8865--rautavaara

I know that, but the reason is I can't afford it, buying a sheet music of Rautavaara may cost my entire 3 months savings, just for one sheet, then calculate the cost for buying the sheets I need, it may cost a much more I can't handle, I literally prefer buying sheets and I've bought some before as it would be in law, and safe but my monetary situation is the prime I should consider. Anyways thanks for your advice

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 09:01:24 AM
Well, I'm going to say it nicely - people usually save up for what's necessary in life. I saved up for my grand piano, people save up for houses.

I'm surprised that something that costs around 15 Euros could be even close to 3 months salary. Are you locked in a slave-labour camp or something?

The more important factor is this forum isn't some place where we all abandon copyright laws and selfishly share music that we shouldn't. We have more respect for it than that and I think this is still something we need to upload - even in the digital age.

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 04:20:30 PM
Well, I'm not gonna take it nice, I'm a college student from India so, majority of students don't have a need to work till they complete their bachelor's. And I clearly mentioned it I'll buy with my savings, not my salary, so, I'll buy it with the money saved from the money given by my parents, which is very little.

Also, 15 euros is like 1600 rupees which is somewhat a bigger amount when you depend on your parents for money. Your lifestyle is different from me, so you may feel it's weird. You could've said it nicer just by saying it's not the place to ask copyrighted sheets, but you chose the another way. And I'm the idiot, I accept it, to ask the sheets to these type of bullshits, I apologize for it.

And, I'm not a random guy phishing around the forum, I'm too a private score collector and an engraver who has the access to a humongous collection of very rare scores.

DO NOT loose your words lavishly.

And thank you for your so-called kind compliment

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 04:36:05 PM
This is the second of s total of two forum posts; both have  the same type of request:  send me a copy of the music you bought so I get it for free.

Literally, I'll do that, I've bought some sheets before, and gave to many people needed it (i.e) I've even bought sheets just to give it to them, and I've given every single sheet got by negotiating with foundations for a very long time to people who needed at the neck of time. I'm not a person who keeps the sheet like a hunch on their back, like a tortoise shell so selfishly

You may get me wrong, but that's me.

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 05:23:03 PM
What a bunch of bougie assholes.  "I saved for my grand piano, can't you serfs just eat dirt and show a little bit of fiscal responsibility?"

I'm too a private score collector

Yeah right, the sheets to the pieces you mention can be found quickly just from googling.

Offline dogperson

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 05:58:15 PM
Literally, I'll do that, I've bought some sheets before, and gave to many people needed it (i.e) I've even bought sheets just to give it to them, and I've given every single sheet got by negotiating with foundations for a very long time to people who needed at the neck of time. I'm not a person who keeps the sheet like a hunch on their back, like a tortoise shell so selfishly

You may get me wrong, but that's me.

If you have purchased sheet music that is under copyright, it is not legal for you to photocopy the music and give it away, just as it is not legal for someone here to send you a copy of available music, under copyright.

If you don’t care about legality, consider how this is damaging to composers, editors and publishers, as they all need income to produce music.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 06:59:49 PM

If you have purchased sheet music that is under copyright, it is not legal for you to photocopy the music and give it away, just as it is not legal for someone here to send you a copy of available music, under copyright.

If you don’t care about legality, consider how this is damaging to composers, editors and publishers, as they all need income to produce music.

There are limits to this argument. Copyright holders often calculate how much they lose by estimating the number of pirated copies of their stuff around, but that assumes that everyone who pirated their stuff would otherwise have bought it (unlikely to be true), and it ignores the free advertising aspect of having their stuff out there among more people. It's not totally obvious that pirating is always a loser for the copyright holder. If I hear something I like played by someone who pirated the score and then go out and buy a legit copy, that's one up for the composer, not one down.

I buy anything that's under copyright; but I'm lucky and can afford it. I wouldn't, myself, come down too hard on people who cannot afford to do the right thing.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 10:46:42 PM
Also, 15 euros is like 1600 rupees which is somewhat a bigger amount when you depend on your parents for money. Your lifestyle is different from me, so you may feel it's weird. You could've said it nicer just by saying it's not the place to ask copyrighted sheets, but you chose the another way. And I'm the idiot, I accept it, to ask the sheets to these type of bullshits, I apologize for it.

It's an unfortunate situation and I can't pretend that I wouldn't do the same if I was in your position but the truth is there's no way to get these score legally for free unless you can convince the publisher to give you a copy. My only other thought would be to try to convince your university library to purchase copies. At least that way you would have access to them via your university.

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 04:27:56 AM

Yes of course, then I should wait until I complete my bachelor's, get a job, and save some from my salary, and buy it, because Rautavaara's worth the wait

Anyways thanks for your kind advice

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 04:40:57 AM
It's an unfortunate situation and I can't pretend that I wouldn't do the same if I was in your position but the truth is there's no way to get these score legally for free unless you can convince the publisher to give you a copy. My only other thought would be to try to convince your university library to purchase copies. At least that way you would have access to them via your university.

Thanks for your advices, but unfortunately university libraries here are only for educational purposes.

Basically, its a big no

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 10:29:11 PM
Ok seriously, just google.  I found every piece of his I'd ever heard of pretty much instantly.

It's up to you whether you want to download them...

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 10:32:35 PM
Ok seriously, just google.  I found every piece of his I'd ever heard of pretty much instantly.

It's up to you whether you want to download them...

Keep in mind you are encouraging theft. There's tons of music in the public domain and we do not have the right to steal music that's still under copyright just because we like it.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 09:00:46 AM
Keep in mind you are encouraging theft. There's tons of music in the public domain and we do not have the right to steal music that's still under copyright just because we like it.

I have to agree with Anacrusis. As someone who does arranging for a hobby and put many hours, days and weeks into my scores - I would be pissed off to hell if they were just being freely shared without my consent.

When you encourage the illegal download of music, you say to society that it's not worth purchasing... and that's just sad.

It's happening to movies and music... don't let it happen to our sheet music as well.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 01:45:55 PM
Just a wee little detail highlight
Op says they are a college student , there is very little probability that scores could not be had via working with the university library system and Interlibrary lending etc , there is a process and resources available to students where a library staff can assist with obtaining material not held in the collection much faster and easier than awaiting a deot purchase to add to a permanent collection

You might need to be specific vs a blanket "everything" for piano if a single volume(or few) doesn't contain it all but you already "paid " for fair use under licensing when you paid tuition and fees

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 08:38:31 PM
Blah blah blah, AS IF y'all haven't downloaded so many non-PD scores of PD pieces before imslp, watched it on youtube for years without ads etc.  Then you get on PF and get all high and mighty once you get older and presumably have money.

"Oh, well that's just the only way I could get it back then . . ."

He's a broke-ass 19 year old in India.  This is how he can get it.  Rautavaara was fairly rich, and is decomposing in the ground as of 5 years ago.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 09:10:55 PM
Blah blah blah, AS IF y'all haven't downloaded so many non-PD scores of PD pieces before imslp, watched it on youtube for years without ads etc.  Then you get on PF and get all high and mighty once you get older and presumably have money.

He's a broke-ass 19 year old in India.  This is how he can get it.  Rautavaara was fairly rich, and is decomposing in the ground as of 5 years ago.

As a matter of fact I've never used an adblocker on YouTube and I've never downloaded non-PD scores before IMSLP.  I'm an adult now but I don't have much disposable income by any stretch of the imagination.

Like, if somebody wants to steal, that's on them. But let's acknowledge it for what it is. We shouldn't pretend it isn't stealing when it is.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 09:34:17 PM
You can have my Rautavaara collection as it's bloody rubbish ;D
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline dogperson

Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 11:20:38 PM

Visitor just gave instructions on how to get scores through a university library.  Next time, why don’t you send your thoughts re illegal scores to an OP via Private Message? 

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 12:24:05 AM
Such righteous people who never have done anything illegal! Lol
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 10:21:52 AM

Hey, did you just addressed me as a 19 year old BROKE-ASS !!!!!!??!!! I'm utterly disappointed with you people, and I'm DONE!!!!!!!

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 10:28:24 AM
You can have my Rautavaara collection as it's bloody rubbish ;D

Ha, no need, I'm fed up with you guys, I deeply apologize on asking this in the forum

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 10:56:26 AM
Hey, did you just addressed me as a 19 year old BROKE-ASS !!!!!!??!!! I'm utterly disappointed with you people, and I'm DONE!!!!!!!

I think you misunderstood. I believe he was defending you. "Broke-ass" is not an insult. It simply means you have little money.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 11:31:44 AM
I think you misunderstood. I believe he was defending you. "Broke-ass" is not an insult. It simply means you have little money.

Okay - even I didn't stoop that low. I don't think anyone likes being called poor or implied that they have little money.

I was just defending the rights of those who wish to break copyright and download music illegally.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 11, 2021, 03:31:53 AM
Okay - even I didn't stoop that low. I don't think anyone likes being called poor or implied that they have little money.

I was just defending the rights of those who wish to break copyright and download music illegally.

I'm with you 100% on protecting intellectual property rights and I don't like the assumption many seem to have that digital good ought to be free. I think we agree on that completely.

But is "broke-ass" an insult? I guess some people might see it that way. I don't think it needs to be though. Having little money shouldn't reflect on anyone as an individual. It doesn't make you any less of a person, just as having more money doesn't make you a "better" person. But I guess it's like being called "fat". Fat people already know that they are fat and don't need to be reminded of that fact.

My point, though, was that as coarse as fftransform's comment was, I believe it was simply saying "Let's have a little sympathy for the guy. He's clearly not in as fortunate a position as the rest of us."

Offline sanjai s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2021, 07:05:06 AM
Well, we shall stop this forum, now I'm just brooding why did I started this. I deeply apologize for this
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert