Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Un Sospiro fingering score  (Read 2475 times)

Offline jim19130

• PS Silver Member
Un Sospiro fingering score
on: October 20, 2021, 12:54:34 AM
I have an old G Schirmer score for this Liszt piece, with sparse fingerings.  I never learned it, but want to tackle it now.

Is there a best score for this piece?  For example, in measure 13 the left crossover fingering is 3-2, which seems a little odd.  Any suggestions on a good score for fingerings?
James

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Un Sospiro fingering score
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 08:39:19 AM
The best fingered Liszt scores in my view are the Cortot editions. They also have various technical exercises for tricky passages. However, they're also known for misprints/inaccuracies so best to use them in conjunction with a solid edition like Leslie Howard's.

I don't have the Cortot version of this particular piece so I can't tell you anything specific about it, but I have a few others and they all have great exercises/fingerings but are very poorly proofread  ::)

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 04:13:25 PM
Any modern Urtext edition will have "good enough" fingerings. Cortot's fingerings are often interesting and worth checking out even if you end up not using them.

Offline drvaughn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 02:03:47 AM
Does anyone know where I can find the Cortot edition of Liszt's Un Sospiro?

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 07:16:58 AM

Offline drvaughn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 02:31:05 PM
Thanks, dogperson!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert