Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Complete list of easiest Chopin pieces?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline tiberiuszgo

• PS Silver Member
Complete list of easiest Chopin pieces?
on: October 22, 2021, 12:31:24 AM
So thank you to the people who replied to my last topic. Now to add a few more pieces to my list (don't worry, I know how to manage) I am interested in some Chopin pieces that are not too challenging. Besides Prelude 4 and Prelude 20 ofc (which I already know how to play). You can also give me some of his other pieces besides Preludes that aren't hard to play. Thanks!
Frédéric Chopin:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline dogperson

Re: Complete list of easiest Chopin pieces?
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 12:51:20 AM
There is not much by Chopin considered easy.  Here are a few, listed in order of difficulty
by Henle

https://www.henle.de/us/detail/?Title=At+the+Piano+-+17+well-known+original+pieces_1822

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 01:14:54 PM
I agree with the Henle list, for simplicity's sake I'll post the pieces I'd recommend the most here:

Prelude no. 6 in b minor op. 28
Prelude no. 7 in A major op. 28
Prelude no 15 in D flat major "Raindrop" if you are very patient
Waltz in a minor op. posth

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 05:33:07 PM
I very much recommend some of the easier Polonaises such as the posth. G minor and B flat major (I think?) ones. I also recommend the first two Op. 69 waltzes and obviously the posth. A minor waltz that everyone plays.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline chechig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 08:59:45 PM
 Not a very famous piece, really nice, not that difficult
Cantabile, very "Chopinesque"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MErGZpgErY

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 11:00:57 PM
I very much recommend some of the easier Polonaises such as the posth. G minor and B flat major (I think?) ones. I also recommend the first two Op. 69 waltzes and obviously the posth. A minor waltz that everyone plays.

I personally feel the posthumous Polonaises, most of which were written when he was very young, don't really count as what people consider "Chopin", because they do not yet sound anything like his style.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 05:40:22 AM
I do agree with you, but I also think there isn't much as far as easy Chopin and there are still moments of his style emerging. He may have been incredibly young when he wrote some of them and it's not his fully fleshed out style but I don't think that makes them any less worth playing. Regardless now that I can play real Chopin music I will never again play one of those early pieces, so I may well be a hypocrite.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline mcporter87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 01:52:27 AM
The very first piece I learned by Chopin was his prelude in E Minor. I would say this is a fairly tricky grade 6 piece. Next his Prelude in D Flat, the Raindrop. A gorgeous grace 7 piece which could be learned with some patience.

His E Flat Nocturne is actually fairly simple and I would say it is grade 6/7 when it comes to difficulty. A little trickier of you want a bit of a challenge is his B flat minor Nocturne which is absolutely stunning.

Worth having a look at a couple of his easier Mazurkas (f major perhaps) and there’s also a couple slower waltzes which should be fairly simple.

If you are a competent grade 6 pianist then you should be able to have a look through these all and see how you get on!

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 01:55:06 PM
The very first piece I learned by Chopin was his prelude in E Minor. I would say this is a fairly tricky grade 6 piece. Next his Prelude in D Flat, the Raindrop. A gorgeous grace 7 piece which could be learned with some patience.

His E Flat Nocturne is actually fairly simple and I would say it is grade 6/7 when it comes to difficulty. A little trickier of you want a bit of a challenge is his B flat minor Nocturne which is absolutely stunning.

Worth having a look at a couple of his easier Mazurkas (f major perhaps) and there’s also a couple slower waltzes which should be fairly simple.

If you are a competent grade 6 pianist then you should be able to have a look through these all and see how you get on!

Good suggestions!

Offline f flat minor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 10:59:07 AM
Okay, apologies for being late, but this will help future people who come to this poll, here I go:
1) Allegretto & Mazurka
2) Allegretto in F#*
3) Andantino in G minor (Piano version of Op.74/2, Polish songs)
4) 2 Bourrées
5) Canon in F minor
6) Cantabile in B flat
7) Casta Diva after Bellini**
8) Contrendanse in G flat*
9) 3 Ecossaises**
10) Fugue in A minor
11) Galop Marquis in A flat
12) No.6 from Hexameron Variations*
13) Largo in E flat
14) Marche Funebre Op.72/2*
15) Easy Mazurkas***
16) Moderato in E
17) Easy Nocturnes***
18) 3 New Studies**
19) Polonaises that Chopin wrote as a kid
20) Preludes Nos.2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 20 (slightly advanced: Nos. 13, 15, 21)
21) Easy Waltzes***

Works with no asterisks can be played by advanced beginners.
*) these are harder than the other pieces but a little bit of practice and exercises should help you.
**) these can be attempted by intermediate pianists
***) these consist of pieces of all the 3 aforementioned criteria of difficulty, but the hardest of them would be only as hard as the works on this list with 2 asterisks (the exceptions being Waltz Op.42 and some Nocturnes which are harder than all the pieces in this list, but you can take an attempt if you can handle filigree passages and jumps)

That's it, please correct me if it has any mistakes.

Offline f flat minor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 11:22:16 AM
Oh and by the way, Etudes Op.25/7 and Op.10/6 are also easy.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert