Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Tips for Rachmaninoff prelude in C minor  (Read 3969 times)

Offline tiberiuszgo

• PS Silver Member
Tips for Rachmaninoff prelude in C minor
on: November 11, 2021, 11:54:45 PM
Hi so I managed to play the first part of it in  2 days and slowly learning the next. They say that is impressive for a new piano player but I would like some tips to make it easier :)

I am familiar with the chords and the jumps but I want some tips to do those easier

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Tips for Rachmaninoff prelude in C minor
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 11:01:51 PM
Are you talking about the prelude in C minor op 23 no 7, or do you actually mean the prelude in C sharp minor Op 3 no 2?

Offline tiberiuszgo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 12:24:10 AM
Oh I was talking about C sharp Minor

Offline arda152

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 01:38:52 PM
This is a very dramatic piece. Did you already sight read the rest? You will realize that the beginning is actually not the hardest part of the piece. And I would just give you the general tip to find the absolute most difficult sections of a piece first. (And of course, difficult here means difficult for you)

My quick guess would be bars 47-48 and 51-52, followed by the passionate section around bars 30-43 approximately. You will gain the technique to play the rest of the piece from mastering these bars.

And by the way check bernhard's reply #8 in this thread https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=10505.0

He recommends looking at Heller Op. 45 No. 15 before tackling the Rachmaninov prelude. It has the same character and is much easier. (maybe after all, you are just looking for this character and not exactly the level of difficulty in Rachmaninov)

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 07:12:38 PM
Hi so I managed to play the first part of it in  2 days and slowly learning the next. They say that is impressive for a new piano player but I would like some tips to make it easier :)

I am familiar with the chords and the jumps but I want some tips to do those easier

Can you post some examples of bars you are struggling with? It's easier to give specific advice than generic advice.

Offline tiberiuszgo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 04:10:18 AM
Im not struggling with it, I just need tips on how to learn it better

Offline dogperson

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 09:05:33 AM

I hope this could help. I have covered the whole piece in this video.
Good luck
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert