Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: A good study for ties or held notes...  (Read 787 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
A good study for ties or held notes...
on: December 18, 2021, 12:49:21 AM
Greetings... does anyone know a good exercise for a Grade 2-3 piano student that either focuses on held notes (not just holding pinky or thumb notes) that involve a little of 2, 3, and 4th finger ties OR Held minims while playing quaver notes.

I just need something basic to get them to really work their inner fingers and strengthen then to hold voices when they need to. Right now, the simpler the better. The reason I ask is a lot of technique books focus on almost every other technique out there, but seem to overlook these.

I did an old Czerny study a while back that dealt with it - but it was 2 entire pages long and was first year uni-level. Helped me with my fingers, but for now I'd like to focus on helping student with their ties and held notes.

Any ideas?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: A good study for ties or held notes...
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 01:54:27 AM
The best ones I've ever seen or done are In the Brahms 51 that I always have something I order cess from I think they're  beyond that level but maybe modifying them or modeling your own version after some might work I think I'd start at looking at 15 and 16 a 16b 16c
But dont look at 14 that thing is insanely hard I'm still working it out hands separate super slow lol
:)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 04:54:11 AM
I was kind of hoping for some preset already notated easy ones I could just quickly present to the student that they'd have the ability to work on. As you said...

I think they're  beyond that level

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 09:46:07 PM
I think Bach is your friend. If Bach is too difficult (I'm not good with the Grade system) you could look up Cortot's "Rational Principles of Pianoforte Technique" and find/adapt some of the held note exercises in the first chapter.

Or you could just write your own :D

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 10:55:50 PM
You'll find a few in Czerny's Op.261. Just scanning through my copy I found Nos. 49,
94, 105, 115, & 125. They're not too long but should be a good challenge for a 3rd grader.

If you are looking just for exercises there are a few in the beginning of this book;
https://imslp.org/wiki/School_of_Technic_(Philipp%2C_Isidor)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 01:04:28 AM
Thank you - I've just had a look at the Isidor, and some of them will be most useful. For anyone else wondering why the hyperlink doesn't work, there needs to be an extra closed parenthesis on the end of the link:

Also, I like the Czerny - I don't think I've come across that series of exercises, so this will me most handy. I'm going to have a really good look through that to find other uses.

Thank you very much Klavieronin.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 01:32:09 AM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I also fixed my original link. Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 02:50:12 AM
Turns out it isn't your fault... the Pianostreet web-site doesn't seem to like hyperlinks ending with a closed bracket.

If I type the web-site without using the hyperlink button:

...the last bracket isn't seen as part of the link. Perhaps something Nils could look at, given how popular IMSLP is.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert