Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Question Non legato touches  (Read 498 times)

Offline mila5405

• PS Gold Member
Question Non legato touches
on: December 31, 2021, 02:23:12 PM
Leaned from this video that the is a couple of different non legato touches  such as tenuto, portato, leggiero, brioso, jeu perlé and more.
(As You Tube link doesn´t work for me , instead I give you the title of the video)
Piano Masterclass on Non-Legato touches, from Steinway Hall London

So here´s my question.
Can anyone hear what kind of touch the pianist using in this audio example

Offline kittenyarn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Question Non legato touches
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:59:07 PM
Forgive me for I am a bit of a beginner still, but isn't this something that can't really be determined scientifically? Or objectively? It's not black and white? :)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 03:53:53 PM

In the scalar runs?  I'd just call that legato.  If I were to notate it, I'd probably put dots over/under the heads of the notes, and have the entire run under a "slur" or whatever it's called to indicate legato but with clean articulation.  That's how I'd expect others to notate it as well.

As should be clear, I don't exactly have the terminology right. 

I can't hear well enough from the clip if the pianist is "finger-pedalling" or using a touch of the sustain pedal, but I'd guess a bit of both.  That's how I'd do it, anyway, with the end result approaching the "articulated but legato" idea.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 10:00:16 PM
Leaned from this video that the is a couple of different non legato touches  such as tenuto, portato, leggiero, brioso, jeu perlé and more.
(As You Tube link doesn´t work for me , instead I give you the title of the video)
Piano Masterclass on Non-Legato touches, from Steinway Hall London

So here´s my question.

I mean, like another poster said there's not really a scientific answer. But I'd play like what you're hearing in the recording if I was going for a leggiero/"jeu perlé" sound. The fundamental approach is legato, but with the notes detached from each other in a way that gives the impression of a bubbly lightness.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert