Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano new years resolutions :)  (Read 406 times)

Offline kittenyarn

• PS Silver Member
Piano new years resolutions :)
on: December 31, 2021, 02:57:23 PM
Hiii everyone! I wanted to ask if any of you have made (or are making) any piano related new years resolutions? I'm planning to do some myself. I want to practise more consistently! I want to get gooooood  :P Or better, at least. What are your New Year's resolutions? :)

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano new years resolutions :)
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:01:16 PM
It's time for me to learn how to structure my practice time more, so I can be more efficient in bigger learning projects!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:17:48 PM
Really, just my constant struggle to keep a number of "tunes" in memory.  Not especially fancy or long pieces.  No real technical problems I'm working at, although there are many challenges I encounter in sight-reading that get attention from me as they arise.

Basically just play more, and not go months without playing.  Anything, really:  Bach sinfonias, things from the WTC, or, ideally, pieces from my soon-to-be-memorized-were-i-not-so-lazy "book" of repertoire.

And replace the damned CR2032 battery in the Hammond-Suzuki digital clone!  Now that I finally got it stacked on top of the digital piano and MIDI'd up to the same (for use as a lower manual), there's no reason except sheer laziness to not unscrew the housing and put a new battery in!  Not strictly a piano "resolution," but piano-adjacent.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 08:16:14 AM
I stopped making New Year resolutions ages ago, piano related or not. I do have clear ideas of how I could improve idea generation and vocabulary and it is just a question of working at them consistently. The technical aspect continues to serve me well and requires no more than a few minutes a day to maintain it. My main fault is a tendency to play too heavily and waste energy but old habits are hard to break, especially in the excitement of the moment. I can start a recording session with the intention of reining things in but slowly lapse over the first thirty minutes and end up feeling like a limp rag at around an hour. In other words the music is all right but I am not. Fixing that might serve as a resolution I suppose.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 12:06:37 AM
I hear that New Year's resolutions are hard to keep and not a good idea in general :P but I guess there is no one size fits all when it comes to that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert