Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Fingering in Liszt etudes  (Read 6612 times)

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Fingering in Liszt etudes
on: April 15, 2003, 11:10:08 AM
I've noticed that Liszt purposely make the pianist uncomfortable with all that hand position he's given us. But especially in those etudes he puts down really strange fingering. Like a glissando sixth apart with one hand. So is it important to follow what fingerings hes written?
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering in Liszt etudes
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 10:21:45 AM
Hey seriously you guys don't have anything to say?

Offline xenia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 02:46:09 PM

Of course,not.Make it easy to you.

;)

Offline pianoman13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 11:00:43 PM
The fingering given in Liszt etudes are usually right on.  You may not like them at the beginning, but they are the best fingering.  For one they strenghthen your fingers emensly and will make you a better pianist for sure.  Fingering is given for a reason.  Try to work with it even if you don't like it.  Need any other help, just let me know.  

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 12:49:24 AM
Well, in La Chasse, in the 2nd section when it goes to E minor, it is very obvious that you can use the thumb to play the semiquaver, which is more comfortable and more practical. But Liszt wants you to use 2. Which I think is ridiculous.

Offline ciocia_fifi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 01:06:09 AM
hey, i wouldnt be that sure that those liszt-type positions etc r not comfortable. in fact, its really practical, and very often quite easy, not matter how complicated it sounds! but id advise u not 2 take all his tips on fingering seriously- some of them are really individual. u should search the stuff suitable 4 u !! and be careful-sts some of liszt's fingering is really bizzare, but essential 2 express sth characteristic, atypical etc. and then its good 2 follow it ;)
...even if I'm not right...;)

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 01:20:49 AM
I find thats the same with Chopin, All these odd fingerings.... But i knew Chopin had a strange techinque...

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 01:21:32 AM
I'm talking about his Urtext editions which have his own fingerings....

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 02:24:13 AM
Chopin was largely self-taught, so he used techniques that were considered eccentric in his time, but that modern pianists would consider essential to good playing.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert