Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Advanced piano sheet music for musical theater  (Read 591 times)

Offline davidrussell

• PS Silver Member
Advanced piano sheet music for musical theater
on: January 09, 2022, 04:31:48 AM
I’m an advanced amateur (30+ years). Recently I’ve started accompanying a singer who does musical theater. I just got the "Great American Songbook - Broadway" by Hal Leonard, and while the arrangements are pretty good, I was a little disappointed to find that every piano part has the vocal line written into it. I understand that this can be helpful for singers who are learning, but it seems rather unprofessional to me.

Where do people go to find high-level piano sheet music to accompany singers of musical theater? I think the ideal is basically a transcription of the orchestra/band part, without the vocal line written into it (unless it’s mirrored in the instrumental parts, of course). If it matters, the song I’m interested in right now is from West Side Story.