Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help, please! Mental Issue Keeping Me From Reading Music  (Read 555 times)

Offline winsto7

• PS Silver Member
Hi all. I woke up yesterday and went to my piano to play and it seems that everything I should be able to play has left me. (I'm would consider myself a high-level player, but now struggle with some of the basics).I'm struggling to read music, when before I had no issue at all. I thought it was just a bad day but woke up today and it's just as bad. I don't know if it's just a mental thing, but there seems to be a disconnected between what I see on the page and then what my hand plays and my brain tells me to play. Advice? Are there weird neurological issues like this among pianists?

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help, please! Mental Issue Keeping Me From Reading Music
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 04:46:30 AM
You're most likely just stressed out. Sight reading skills generally do not just suddenly vanish unless you have had some severe brain injury. There are examples of severe brain dysfunction yet reading and playing remain e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Wearing
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 05:31:31 AM
Are you having trouble doing anything else? Tying your shoes, using keys, typing, reading books/emails/signs  etc?

Offline winsto7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 11:50:44 AM
I'm having trouble with basic comprehension a little bit and then some memory, but I recently suffered an eighth concussion which left me with daily headaches, some memory loss, and slower reaction times, so maybe that's it?

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 02:36:57 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason but if you haven't already, it's probably worth mentioning it to your doctor. It could pass over time but you don't want to take any chances with something like that.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 07:32:21 PM
I'm having trouble with basic comprehension a little bit and then some memory, but I recently suffered an eighth concussion which left me with daily headaches, some memory loss, and slower reaction times, so maybe that's it?

Sure, that may be it. Definitely if any of that gets worse at all, see a doctor right away. The same things that can cause a concussion can cause a subdural hematoma - fixable if found, but potentially very serious if ignored.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert