Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How to play this?  (Read 571 times)

Offline trickybily

• PS Silver Member
How to play this?
on: March 14, 2022, 06:46:59 PM
Sorry for the newbie question.
I am not sure how to play the two arpeggios marked by the two arrows on this picture:
https://ibb.co/L0KLCcN
For the first arpeggio I think I should play the 3 notes that it is composed of, separately, from the bottom note up - each for the duration of one quarter note (that way the 3 notes would be evenly distributed inside the measure). Am I right?
What about the second arpeggio? It is composed of only 2 notes. Should I play each of the two notes separately, each lasting 1 and a half quarter note?

Offline kenbakermn

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to play this?
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 06:24:42 PM
The way you would normally play both of those is a quick roll with all notes approximately on the same beat. There is no need to try to distribute them evenly across the time value of the notes.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 06:26:22 PM
What kenbakermn said. Arpeggios are usually played fairly quickly.

Offline kenbakermn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 06:28:28 PM
And by the way, no need to apologize for newbie questions. We were all newbies at one time, nothing wrong with asking questions to advance your knowledge.

Offline trickybily

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 07:36:04 AM
Thank you very much for the answers  :) So I should play the notes from bottom to top very quickly, but should I also keep them pressed down for their duration OR should I release them immediately after being played?

Offline kenbakermn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 12:25:53 PM
Roll quickly from top to bottom and hold for the duration. It's called a glissando.

By the way, sometimes a glissando is notated to roll from the top down. In that case you'll see an down-arrow at the bottom of the symbol.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 01:22:35 PM
Roll quickly from top to bottom and hold for the duration. It's called a glissando.

By the way, sometimes a glissando is notated to roll from the top down. In that case you'll see an down-arrow at the bottom of the symbol.

Correction: it's called an arpeggio. A glissando is a scale played by dragging (usually) your nail over the keyboard instead of with the usual finger technique.

Offline kenbakermn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 02:32:49 PM
Right, what anacrusis said. I had the word 'glissando' stuck in my mind and it didn't feel quite right, but in my early morning pre-espresso state I drew a blank on the correct word.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert