Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: Relative Difficulties of Beethoven's 7th and 8th Sonatas  (Read 2160 times)

Offline flyusx

• PS Silver Member
Hello,

Would you all consider Beethoven's Opus 10 №3 (Sonate #7) or Opus 13 (Pathetique) more difficult relatively speaking? I'm working Op10№3 right now, used the first movement in a competition, almost done learning the fourth. The third doesn't look bad, but from what I've read, the second is quite difficult to master, both notes and interpretatively.
I've "sightread" about four pages in of the first movement of the Pathetique: it doesn't look too bad, but all I have is a very basic sightreading of it.
Beethoven sonata rankings, from what I've been able to find, are ambiguous as to which is more difficult (which makes sense, things are subjective). Either way...which is on average more difficult?

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Relative Difficulties of Beethoven's 7th and 8th Sonatas
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 02:09:21 AM
I think it would be difficult to find somebody who's played both Op. 10 No. 3 and Op. 13 who would say that the D Major is easier. Op. 10/3 is very challenging both musically and technically, but since technical difficulty is easier to gauge, it's still more difficult. 10/3 has a larger structure, is more demanding and has just as many vast orchestral textures as Op. 13.

I think the only reason people may consider Op. 13 more difficult is because it is more famous and sounds pretty challenging, but if Op. 10/3 had a nickname it would likely be near unanimously considered the more difficult sonata.

It's not like the difference is THAT massive, but it's substantial enough that I feel confident it isn't really a debate.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 03:25:08 PM
I think the D major is more difficult to play overall.

Offline bachmoninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 02:09:22 AM
I agree, I believe that op. 8 is similar in difficulty to op. 2 no. 2 but I’d still say op. 2 no. 2 is more difficult. Comparatively, I’d say sonata 7 is similar to op. 2 no. 3 in difficulty.

This might make it more confusing but I hope it helps
Bach - WTC no.16 Bk 1
Beethoven - Piano Sonata op. 7
Chopin - op. 10 no. 7 & op. 25 no. 6
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz no. 1
Prokofiev - Piano Sonata no. 2
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert