Piano Forum

New Book: Women and the Piano by Susan Tomes
Susan Tomes' latest book is a captivating and thought-provoking exploration of women pianists’ history, praised for its engaging storytelling, thorough research, and insightful analysis. The book combines historical narrative with Tomes' personal insights as a performing female pianist. Read more >>

Topic: College Repertoire  (Read 1294 times)

Offline chopinonions

• PS Silver Member
College Repertoire
on: March 30, 2022, 11:01:17 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to apply to colleges for a music major in performance. I Am a high school junior right now. The pieces I have completed are not up to standard I think. They are Rachmaninoff 3/2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in D minor (WTC 1), and Chopin Nocturne 27/2 in Db Major, as well as Debussy's Arabesque I have not started any etudes, but I am hoping to fix that and acquire a Beethoven sonata over the summer. I am very comfortable with Beethoven and Mozart, having played no 13 and no 27/2 for Beethoven and 545 for Mozart. What are your suggestions for a Beethoven Sonata, a starting Chopin etude, and a romantic piece?

Offline flyusx

• PS Silver Member
Re: College Repertoire
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 02:47:10 PM
I'd suggest Op10№5/№9 or Op25№9 as starter etudes.

For Beethoven, I'd take a look at Op10. №1 and №2 are my primary suggestions. №3, which is what I've been working on, is no Appassionata or Hammerklavier, but it is much more difficult than the first two both in terms of endurance and interpretativeness; so perhaps consider it but don't expect to choose it just yet. The Op2 set also has some great choices, but I don't know too much about those.

As for a romantic work of music, I'd take a look at a Fauré nocturne, a Skrjabin etude or a Rachmaninoff Prelude (Op23№3 is what I'd suggest, but it may be a stretch). Or, you could always go back to a Chopin nocturne.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 03:10:22 PM
"Starter" Chopin Etudes would in my opinion be Op. 10 no 5, 8, 9 and 12, and Op. 25 no. 1, 2, 7 and 9. However, they're still quite challenging if your technique is not ready for them yet.

A Bach P & F is certainly up to standard, often even desired for auditions. It gives you an opportunity to demonstrate skill in polyphonic playing and ability to make music that might seem "abstract" on the page and lacking performance instruction into something that's alive and musical.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 02:45:06 AM
I love discussing repertoire.

I think some good Chopin etudes to start with are 10/5, 10/8, 10/12, 25/1, 25/2. Some are more challenging than others and it depends on your strengths. I find them quite enjoyable to practice, whether to work on as a repertoire piece or to work on technique in a very slow tempo (I do this with Op. 10/2 and 25/6 often).

Beethoven sonatas are fantastic and all very worthwhile to play, I hope to play them all one day. I would take a look at the Op. 31 sonatas, any of those would be the next step from Op. 13 and 27/2. You can also take a look at Op. 22, which is quite underplayed. It's a very "classical" Beethoven sonata. Op. 26 and 28 are other great options. Do some listening.
I would personally stay away from Op. 53, 57, 81a and any of final 5. These works are highly demanding technically and musically. You'll have plenty of time to study them in the next few years. I don't like the idea that you need to be "musically mature" to play them, but it'll be beneficial to get more context playing Beethoven before tackling them.

I'm a big fan of early romantic music, so I'll suggest a Schubert impromptu. Any of the Op. 90 set would be great, and all these pieces are beloved by listeners with or without experience listening to classical music. Another Chopin nocturne isn't a bad idea either, maybe Op. 48/1?

Keep playing through the WTC, both books have many options that are great for auditions, so when that time comes you can bring one back and have an uber polished Bach piece.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 09:19:12 PM
That's a very good repertoire to have. I would recommend looking at Beethoven's Op. 10 or Op. 14 Sonatas. If you play Bach and Beethoven well, you will get in most anywhere. I would also suggest you look at Chopin Op. 10 No. 9, it's a good starting place for Chopin Etudes.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline bachmoninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 01:47:17 AM
Hi!
I’m also a junior in high school looking to apply for music college in piano performance in the fall so it looks like we are in the same boat

As I’ve read, everyone has given great advice so far and really suggest listening to them. However, as I’ve been looking at colleges, I tend to see that they require a contemporary piece which from what you’ve shown, you haven’t played much of.

With that said, here are some suggestions for a great contemporary piece for college auditions:

Lieberman: Gargoyles
Florence Price: Clouds
Debussy: any of the images book 1 or 2 (an etude could work as well)
Prokofiev: sonatas 1-5 ( 1 and 3 are more in your range but 3 is played quite a lot) there is also diabolical suggestions (not too difficult)
Gershwin: preludes 1-3 (I’d play the set)

I suggest you do some research on your own. My knowledge is limited in contemporary music but there is a lot of good stuff  ;D

P.S. if this helps, this is what I am currently working on for college auditions:

Bach: Prelude and fugue no. 16 Bk. 1
Beethoven: Sonata op. 7 Eb major
Chopin: etude op. 10 no. 7
Liszt: Mephisto waltz no. 1
Prokofiev: Piano sonata no. 2

Bach - WTC no.16 Bk 1
Beethoven - Piano Sonata op. 7
Chopin - op. 10 no. 7 & op. 25 no. 6
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz no. 1
Prokofiev - Piano Sonata no. 2
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert