Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Yuja Wang: Chicago performance  (Read 1288 times)

Offline jimf12

• PS Silver Member
Yuja Wang: Chicago performance
on: April 11, 2022, 03:38:44 PM
Yesterday I saw Yuja Wang in Chicago give what I would say is the most dynamic classical performance I have ever seen.   I was just floored by the entire performance.    The program included Beethoven, Scriabin, Ligiti, Albeniz, Schoenberg, and Kapustin.    My date is someone who is not familiar with the classical repertoire, and it was a wonderful set of music to show someone just how varied the genre can be.    She was astounded by her virtuosity, and actually enjoyed Schoenberg a great deal - something I wasn't sure about going in.

That was the scheduled program, but there was literally an entire 1/2 of a concert left as an encore.   She kept coming back, playing varied pieces from Glass and Grieg and Bizet, and then finally after the 5th time coming back out she sat down and just nailed the 3rd movement from the War Sonata by Prokofiev.

I thought ending the entire program on the bombastic Prokofiev piece was perfect, but a couple of minutes of the audience refusing to stop the applause, she came out again and played two more pieces.   My date was just floored, and commented that she was starting to feel sorry for the poor women because she couldn't understand how someone could continue to physically do what she was doing without passing out. 

I saw Yuja this fall in a chamber concert with Kavakos, and while it was a terrific performance it did not allow her to really shine like she did yesterday.   I have certainly not seen a solo performance like this anywhere, and I'm thinking this might be the greatest musical performance I have ever seen live.     

Also, the dresses were appreciated.   Her stage presence was off the charts. 

She is now officially my favorite current pianist.
Ludwig van Beethoven:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yuja Wang: Chicago performance
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 04:24:08 PM
I used to be so-so on Yuja Wang, but recently I've come to appreciate what a jaw-dropping technique she has. Sadly, I've never seen her live (the one time she came to my state was 2011). Still time for that though ... she just performed in Seattle (about a 5-hour drive away), but it was on a day when I had classes to attend and lessons to teach, so I had to miss it. Very very sad.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline nickc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 12:37:26 PM
Anyone remember a few years back when Piano Street went mental over the Yuja Wang Sexy dress debate?  ;D

She is brilliant, gorgeous and an incredible pianist. I'm glad you were able to enjoy that experience, must have been wonderful!

Offline jimf12

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 06:10:32 PM
For the record, she wore two different dresses - she changed at intermission.    Nothing too controversial, but I noticed.   And I don't always notice things like that.   

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 11:46:47 PM
People having problems with Yujas dresses reflects negatively on the people having problems with Yujas dresses rather than on Yuja. She is cool and I think she is growing into an interesting artist.

Offline nck19

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 03:25:44 AM
Yesterday I saw Yuja Wang in Chicago give what I would say is the most dynamic classical performance I have ever seen.   I was just floored by the entire performance.    The program included Beethoven, Scriabin, Ligiti, Albeniz, Schoenberg, and Kapustin.    My date is someone who is not familiar with the classical repertoire, and it was a wonderful set of music to show someone just how varied the genre can be.    She was astounded by her virtuosity, and actually enjoyed Schoenberg a great deal - something I wasn't sure about going in.

That was the scheduled program, but there was literally an entire 1/2 of a concert left as an encore.   She kept coming back, playing varied pieces from Glass and Grieg and Bizet, and then finally after the 5th time coming back out she sat down and just nailed the 3rd movement from the War Sonata by Prokofiev.

I thought ending the entire program on the bombastic Prokofiev piece was perfect, but a couple of minutes of the audience refusing to stop the applause, she came out again and played two more pieces.   My date was just floored, and commented that she was starting to feel sorry for the poor women because she couldn't understand how someone could continue to physically do what she was doing without passing out. 

I saw Yuja this fall in a chamber concert with Kavakos, and while it was a terrific performance it did not allow her to really shine like she did yesterday.   I have certainly not seen a solo performance like this anywhere, and I'm thinking this might be the greatest musical performance I have ever seen live.     

Also, the dresses were appreciated.   Her stage presence was off the charts. 

She is now officially my favorite current pianist.

I saw Yuja in 2008-09 when we engaged her. She was provocative  and so brilliant in every way. I've been so lucky to see many of the truly greats, and have studied the great pianists of the past and she takes a backseat to none! Of course I've listened to what she's played since and she is maturing into an astonishing talent. My favorites Sokolov, Pletnev, Bolet, and Wang are the ones that give me everything I love in playing. You are lucky to have seen her at her current age. She's never been better.

I met her after her performance for about 1 minute and long enough to feel her spirit and quirky and captivating personality. So nice and warm she was to chat with. I remember it like yesterday.   
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert