Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Auditioners ~~~~~  (Read 1714 times)

Offline amy

• PS Silver Member
Auditioners ~~~~~
on: April 11, 2003, 04:08:50 PM
Hello everyone.  University music audition in 12 days.
Pretend you were an auditioner.. which would you take?

a) plays at performance level, marks= 70's (%)

b) plays at gr.8/9 RCM level, marks= 90's  (%)

thank you

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Re: Auditioners ~~~~~
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 11:08:42 AM
What do you mean?
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline jeff

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 12:21:08 PM
you mean, would we pick someone who plays A) easier pieces well or B) harder pieces not as well?

hm... i'd say A). i think it depends on which option better allows you to show your musical ability through the music. If the harder pieces are only harder because you'd hit a few more wrong notes, i'd like to think that wouldn't matter too much. They gotta give you some credit for making the effort :D
last year when i auditioned for entrance into university, 2 of the 3 pieces i prepared were pretty hard (for me). One of them ('handel in the strand' by percy grainger, if you're wondering) i knew i couldn't get through without hitting quite a few wrong notes, but i made sure i played it with flair and without fear or inhibition.. and i got into the university that i wanted to get into :)

Offline amy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 12:36:17 AM
Sorry guys.. lemme clarify..
which would you pick:

a) someone who's playing difficult pieces well, but in school gets 70% average.

or

b) someone playing "easier" pieces, but gets a 90% average in school.

remember, the universities are looking for marks as well as performance.  so you choose!

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2003, 07:10:07 AM
i'd choose neither... I'd choose the person who can play difficult pieces (technnique and expression wise) very well....
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 07:17:35 AM
I'd say its better to play easier pieces well than harder pieces not as well.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2003, 09:06:37 AM
i think that as long as you put passion into what you play you will play well

for instance, when i was younger when i learnt a new piece i used to hunch up and sightread the unfamiliar notes timidly.

whatever you play, no matter what it is you must put your heart into it and you must play confidently.

when my older brother (also a piano player!) did an exam before he did the exam he used to peform  for family and friends........people who didnt really appreciate classical music and as he did this he was very confident for his exam (grade 8) and it really helped him alot!!

so it doesnt matter if you are a or b as if you put passion into your pieces and if you have confidence you wil succeed!!!!!!!!
memo from lea: red bull gives u wings

Offline amy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 03:46:28 AM
hi guys.. thank you so much for helping me!
well.. in my case.. im a 90% student..but my playing isn't that great. my pieces are fairly simple, but i can't seem to play them "perfectly"....
i guess sometimes i have passion... but im not sure...
i get frustrated because i always have that thing in the back of my head saying.. "youre not playing this right!!....."  and then my passion starts wearing out...
*sigh...
but thanks guys... i will try my best.
-Amy

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 06:30:46 AM
One of the important things when playing pieces is not getting every note right and worrying about it...its how you interpret the piece and how musically you play it.  Try looking at your pieces from a different angle and experiment.

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 07:22:04 AM
Well said, lea! :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert