Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Difficulty of Rach 1 (for small hands)?  (Read 276 times)

Offline fread22

• PS Silver Member
Difficulty of Rach 1 (for small hands)?
on: May 15, 2022, 07:32:27 AM
I have just finished learning Chopin Ballade no. 1 and 3, as well as some of the etudes (e.g. 10/4 and 10/12). Now I would like to move onto learning some of Rach's work, mainly the Rach 1 cadenza. Is the skill gap a bit too big for me to attempt it?
To make matters worse, I have really small hand span, barely reaching an octave. I suppose omitting notes would be inevitable, but would that still be too ambitious for me currently?
Thank you.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Difficulty of Rach 1 (for small hands)?
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:30:10 PM
Very hard to say. If you can manage the ballade and etudes you mentioned I think you have a shot. Just be careful with your hands if you have a small span, if the piece hurts you, drop it for now and develop your chord/octave technique.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert