Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: First Piano Concerto  (Read 1295 times)

Offline adariation

• PS Silver Member
First Piano Concerto
on: June 25, 2022, 05:15:52 PM
I have been searching for a piano concerto to tackle and perform in a year or so.
I haven't played a piano concerto before, and the only ensemble piece that I played was Clara Schumann Piano Trio.
My current recital repertoire is:
Ballade 1
Rach prelude in Csharp minor
Scarlatti k466 f minor
Debussy arabesque 1
Consolation 3 liszt.
Haydn variations in f minor
Shostakovich Prelude no 24
Black Earth Fazil say.
The concerto that I was planning on playing was Grieg, however as this is my 1st time, I was wondering if it would be better to start off with something easier like Shostakovich No 2. I have also looked into Chopin Concertos. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Re: First Piano Concerto
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 09:43:57 PM
I was actually going to suggest Shostakovich No. 2. The Grieg is a great piece, though it's trickier than many people give it credit for (especially the third movement). I would recommend both of those before playing the Chopin Concertos, since those really are difficult, especially the last movements of both.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline hmoll53

• PS Silver Member
Re: First Piano Concerto
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 05:08:30 PM
For a first Concerto, it's best to do a classical concerto as most people I know suggest. (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven except for 4 and 5)
Granted you can play Ballade No.1, I don't think technique is too much of a problem for classical concerti. But the difficulties of classical pieces are far different comparison to Ballade (Classical requires more precision, clarity, and control imo)
Though not suggested, romantic and modern concerti also have very good starter Concerti.
Gershwin's Variations on 'I Got Rhythm' is very doable, the same goes for the Rhapsody in Blue. If you really want to invest in a larger Concerti, then the Concerto in F isn't too bad either.
Grieg, Shostakovich 2, Saint Saens 2 are all decent options though they each have their technical difficulties. (Saint Saens 2 have some nasty octaves, Grieg has a lot of tremolos in the Cadenza).
Poulenc is also a nice one, I don't understand why it's underperformed.
If you want to do Baroque, Bach's D Minor, F Minor and G Minor Keyboard Concerti are all quite nice and doable.
Chopin Concerti are both very long, though technically it isn't horribly undoable, though they are among the most difficult works written by the composer despite both being a youthful work.
In summary, any classical concerti except for Beethoven's 4th or 5th is fine for a starting piece. Romantic / Modern is a lot more wide ranged in technique, style, and general difficulty. It's your choice to go the safe route or not, but if you have the ability, play any Concerti you like.  :)
Some Current Repertoire:
Scriabin: Sonatas 2,4 and 5
Chopin: Ballade 1,4, Scherzo 1
Rachmaninoff: Concerto 3
Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit
Barber: Sonata
Beethoven: Appassionata

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert