Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Is there a Minor Key Common Chord Motion?  (Read 945 times)

Offline leigh anne

• PS Silver Member
Is there a Minor Key Common Chord Motion?
on: July 02, 2022, 04:21:32 AM
Hello! Straight to the question, is a Minor Key Common Chord Motion? Because there is a major, there must be a minor, right? But how come I never find what i'm looking for? It took me hours to find the major key common chord motion and it has been weeks but I can't find the minor. Does anybody know how the Minor Key Common Chord Notion works or where to find it? Thanks!

- Leigh
"Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul"

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Is there a Minor Key Common Chord Motion?
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 08:45:50 PM
Hey Leigh,

I'm not sure what you mean by "major key chord motion" and "minor key chord motion". Can you clarify a bit what you mean? I can probably help you out once I understand what you're asking.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 07:36:36 AM
When I googled "common chord motion" I found one reddit post with that title.  I showed chord progressions.  I imagine - "chord progressions commonly used"?

To the OP - if you google "minor chord progressions" (if that's what you're asking for) you will find answers.

One complication with minor keys is that you have three common minor scales: natural minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor - these will each have some different chords (and the different chords also play a role in the scale choice).

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 04:29:37 PM
I think Leigh might be talking about close position chord motion.

By choosing inversions, you can keep your hand in one spot and play chord progressions, at least the I, IV, V7.

It's easy in major, and I've spent a good bit of time working on that because at the time it let me play hymns I wasn't ready for.  I have no idea about minor.  I guess one could sit at the keyboard and experiment. 
Tim

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 04:20:21 PM
Following from the Reddit post suggested above, it appears as different ways of expanding the IV-V-I progression.  One could also practice this in minor mode, just starting with the iv-V-I and expanding from there. 

One way of thinking about it is, in Major: I - iii - vi - ii - V - I.  Up a fourth, down a fifth.  It's like a sequence. 

Another technique to practice would be rule of the octave.  It would teach more about voice leading, and encourage one to not get stuck in blocky chord progressions. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert