Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Need advice before buying a 2nd hand upright  (Read 326 times)

Offline alextrp7

• PS Silver Member
Need advice before buying a 2nd hand upright
on: July 13, 2022, 09:42:15 PM
Hi,
I don't have so many choice where I live. I don't have the money to buy one new, not even second hand from a pro.
I saw several uprights but all of them had minor or serious mechanical problems.
Today I went and saw a Weinbach from 1986, a first hand piano which was never moved for 35 years. The mechanic looks in perfect shape (bridges, frame, hammers and strings) but it was never really played and the last tuning is from the day they bought it, 35 years ago. So it is quite untuned.
Is the risk of broken strings very high next time it will be tuned ? Would the piano not be able to hold the tuning after all there years ?
I have several pictures and a video of the piano being played it anyone would take a look.
Thank you very much.

Offline mad_max2024

• PS Silver Member
Re: Need advice before buying a 2nd hand upright
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 07:36:57 PM
Might be worth having a reputable tech go look at it and evaluate the condition before buying.
I think most will do it for a small fee.
I am perfectly normal, it is everyone else who is strange.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert