Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Is piano a lifestyle?  (Read 566 times)

Offline geopianoincanada

• PS Silver Member
Is piano a lifestyle?
on: August 02, 2022, 02:17:04 PM
I'm a fulltime caregiver to my wife. So going out to participate in musical activities is extremely limited at best.

But what about others who are pianists or students of piano have freedom to go out and participate in various musical activities?

I'm trying to figure out how to grow my own piano interests within my circumstances.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is piano a lifestyle?
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:27:39 PM
If you can't get out there are places on discord for instance where you can perform with/for other people. There is also things like VR CHAT where people have played piano for others and performed on virtual stages. There is also a website like multiplayerpiano where you can play piano with others via midi. There are social networking groups like facebook or meetup where people can organise events with one another. All this of course takes a bit of time to search for the right place and meet the right people.

I would say the vast majority of pianists are very solitary people not sharing their talents with others or playing piano anywhere else but in the privacy of their homes. Piano is also rather unsocial compared to instruments like guitar which can be picked up and carried around wherever you go, you can't really carry the piano on your back.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline mad_max2024

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 02:33:32 PM
You can stream publically on twitch, youtube or facebook.

Even if you don't want to take the time and effort to make a proper channel you can just stream your practice. Sometimes random people show up and eventually you can make some friends that come more regularly, especially if you do it at a set time.
I am perfectly normal, it is everyone else who is strange.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 02:43:53 PM
I've left a PM.  Generally for me - no - I don't go out with my music for a number of reasons.  But I do share bits with friends at times.  I save my recordings to Dropbox in any case since I work with a remote teacher, so all I have to do is provide a link.  There are more sophisticated means I'm sure and think a few have been mentioned here.

Offline geopianoincanada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 03:05:53 PM
Maybe I’m showing my age, I know nothing about a discord twitch VR or streaming or anything like that, I’m not on Facebook. I’m just old fashioned old school guy who - at best - knows how to watch a YouTube video and perhaps upload one made from my phone.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 04:22:30 PM
If you are extremely limited to go out and share music with others then certainly look at how you can share music with others in your own home. You can use all sorts of technology or certainly organise a space in your own home to do it once you gather a small group of people who would be interested in doing it. VR is becoming better and better and soon will become very mainstream, virtual performances are really quite mind blowing and something I would certainly recommend for those who cannot get out easily. VR chat also can be used without VR equipment too and just with the use of a computer but it is much more enjoyable to be immersed in the experience. We have watched people sing, play instruments, do acts etc etc, it's quite incredible actually.
www.pianovision.com

Offline geopianoincanada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 03:44:41 PM
I just did a quick Google search on Discord and Twich. No, those kind of things don't sound like they're for me. I'm not fond of opening up with a web camera to complete strangers. I'm ok with one-on-one with someone I am already friends with on Skype, and I'm ok with typing/reading words on a forum but that's about it. Too many freaks on the internet to risk trusting anyone in such a public video thing.

Back in the day I could go on a website to find local musicians and we could get together in a public place such as a rented rehearsal room or a coffee shop and meet, talk, play together in person. You could form decent friendships that way with real people. I've never been a fan of all of this virtual on-line video stuff. I'm no movie star or TV personality, I never was and never wanted to be one.

I'm just left scratching my head wondering where the world I once knew (back in the day) went.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 04:03:07 PM
Use meetup.com you can connect with likeminded people and actually meet up in person. There are other options too like facebook it is good to network with others and organise meet ups (or as it is called on facebook EVENTS). There should be piano groups in your area and if not start one up! Online/virtual options were given to you since you said you have a lot of problems getting out of the house.
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert