Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Music theory for conservatory  (Read 421 times)

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Music theory for conservatory
on: August 10, 2022, 09:03:06 AM
Dear people,

In the coming year, I want to audition at a conservatory. However, my music theory is still "subpar" and I don't really know what they ask at the admission test. I also can't ask the conservatory directly due to summer break. That's why I'm here to ask the piano students of the forum what you had to learn for your admission test and if by extreme coincidence there is someone here who went to Fontys Hogeschool voor de Kunsten in Tilburg, The Netherlands I would love to know what exactly you had to know since I believe it's different for each conservatory and Fontys is where I would like to go.

Thank you in advance.

PS If anyone knows what type of repertoire you have to play (and how many pieces) and what other requirements there are that would be helpful too, since my teacher says something else than the website.

Offline geopianoincanada

• PS Silver Member
Re: Music theory for conservatory
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 01:36:35 PM
If it were me, I'd check with the conservatory and see if they offer any advice on preparation for their specifics. I don't know if all conservatories have the same requirements or not.

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 02:28:01 PM
If it were me, I'd check with the conservatory and see if they offer any advice on preparation for their specifics. I don't know if all conservatories have the same requirements or not.

I would, however due to summer break you're not able to contact them for another month or so.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 02:40:25 PM
It is common practice to have a published syllabus listing the requirements for an audition.  It would be advisable to locate the syllabus and familiarize yourself with it early in the process of preparing yourself for the audition. 

Some institutions publish past theory exams (such as RCM), so applicants have an idea of the format and the kind of questions to expect. 

PS If anyone knows what type of repertoire you have to play (and how many pieces) and what other requirements there are that would be helpful too, since my teacher says something else than the website.

The actual audition experience might not cover every item in the official syllabus.  For example, in university auditions in my area it is common that the jury will not listen to complete pieces.  An applicant may be required to prepare 5 pieces, but only get to play through a single piece to the end.  The other pieces the jury might ask for random excerpts, 1 min of this, 2 mins of that, the coda of a virtuosic piece, etc. 

The syllabus will tell you what you need to prepare.  However, local first hand experience from people in-the-know will inform you of what you might expect. 

Tell your teacher about the discrepancy of information.  There might be a reason they are instructing you to prepare a certain thing. 

IMO, when preparing for the performance portion of your audition, also prepare for viva voce questions, even if it is not listed in the syllabus.  Have something to say about every piece in your program, and know basic information about the composer, time period of the music, style, etc. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 04:06:04 PM
Is this what you are looking for?

https://fontys.edu/Bachelors-Masters/Bachelors/Academy-of-Music-and-Performing-Arts/How-to-apply-2/Admission-requirements.htm

Required theoretical knowledge

What do you need to know in order to perform well on this test?
• Ability to transcribe a rhythmic dictation
• Ability to transcribe a melodic dictation
• Knowledge of intervals
• Knowledge of triads

You will be invited for a theory test after a positive assessment of your online audition.

There is a practice test on the website.

For classical piano repertoire:

https://fontys.edu/Bachelors-Masters/Bachelors/Academy-of-Music-and-Performing-Arts/How-to-apply-2/Admission-requirements-main-subjects.htm

Piano
Applicants should prepare from memory (unless you play contemporary music) a program of three works of their own choice. This should last at least 15 minutes and show a variety of style, period and character. It must include a polyphonic work and a sonata form. The audition panel reserves the right to hear only two pieces overall. The audition will include a sight reading test.
Examples:
• C. Czerny etudes op. 299
• polyphonic work, e.g. J.S. Bach Inventions or Symfonics
• movement from a classical sonata: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven
• (part of a) concert piece from the Romantic Era: Chopin, Schubert, Schumann up to Rachmaninov, Skriabin
• (part of a) concert piece in a more modern style: Debussy, Bartok, Prokofiev up to the present era
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert