Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Brahms Rhapsody op 79 no 2  (Read 601 times)

Offline hert2930

• PS Silver Member
Brahms Rhapsody op 79 no 2
on: September 14, 2022, 05:14:43 AM
Hi - long time observer, first time poster.

I’ve hit a bit of a low point with realising I have some issues with my technique.

I’m frustrated it’s taken me to preparing for associate diploma to notice but better late than never…would really appreciate some thoughts on how to rectify my peculiar hand shapes or overall posture at times in the Brahms.

Thank you.

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Re: Brahms Rhapsody op 79 no 2
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 07:53:42 AM
Hi and welcome!
I'm just writing what comes to mind spontaneously, you can probably get more specific advice from other people here. It looks like your hand is out of line, hanging from the wrist, which means that your hand-arm-body coordination is not working optimally. I don't think there is a quick fix for this... but how about sitting slightly higher to try to find a better arm alignment?
Good luck!

Offline flyusx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 03:11:51 AM
I'm perfecting this composition right now. The main things I'd suggest: use more arm weight by dropping into the keys, be aware whenever your hands tense up (such as the B section of the exposition within the left hand). Dw4m is correct in saying it seems your wrist is a bit too high with your hands hanging low.
Currently Working On
Beethoven Sonate №7

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:32:15 PM
Hello, well done for undertaking the challenge. It is a common error to underestimate the level of difficulty of this piece and the level of work/time required to learn it. It isn't a diploma piece, it is a full on advanced concert piece, for reasons that are technical as well as musical. The physical act of performing it will require a hands on teacher, but from personal experience the difficulty is mostly musical. Give it time, and have fun with it. 8)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline hert2930

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 05:45:11 AM
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I’m very grateful. I’ve taken a step back from the piece and picked up some simpler pieces to give me time to improve my technique. I look forward to coming back to it soon. Thanks again 🙏🏻
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert