Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Best edition of Mozart Fantasia in d minor K.397  (Read 587 times)

Offline m1kes_

• PS Silver Member
Best edition of Mozart Fantasia in d minor K.397
on: September 20, 2022, 07:51:39 PM
I want to buy an Urtext edition of the Fantasia in d minor, and I'm looking at these 3 editions: Wiener Urtext Edition, Henle Verlag or Bärenreiter.

I don't know which one is the best for Mozart and for this piece in particular. I found the Bärenreiter appealing because I was told that it has performance suggestions and a good foreword but I don't know if it's the best.

Which one should I get?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best edition of Mozart Fantasia in d minor K.397
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:07:34 PM
I have the Mozart sonatas in a Henle hardcover and I think it's excellent. But Bärenreiter is also an excellent edition. They're all excellent editions so I think you can go with whatever you prefer.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best edition of Mozart Fantasia in d minor K.397
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:16:55 PM
I love the spacing on the Henle Verlag and the font - it seems easier I think that other editions to read.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert