Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Nocturne op.9-2  (Read 1148 times)

Offline sparkman123

• PS Silver Member
Nocturne op.9-2
on: September 28, 2022, 02:04:17 PM
Hi everyone, I am new here so I didn't know whether to post it on the Repertoire or Performance sub-forum. In Nocturne op.9-2 by Chopin, the left hand has a similar pattern in groups of 3 quavers, with the first being staccato and the final two being legato. In my book, it says simile in the bar afterwards. I assume it meant do the same for the L.H section for the whole piece. However, there are places in the sheet music where in bar 22, it shows the same phrasing but in the second half of bar 22, the phrasing isn't written. Does that mean I should still play with the phrasing for does where the phrasing isn't explicitly written (except of course for the simile section). Any help would be much appreciated!  ;D

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nocturne op.9-2
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 03:30:23 AM
'Simile' means 'in a similar way'- but take it only in a general sense (i.e. unless there's anything to the contrary). Also, these staccato signs need not be taken too literally- they are almost more like tenuto signs. Just follow your own musical sense with this type of thing. 

Offline sparkman123

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nocturne op.9-2
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 06:20:15 AM
Thanks! That makes sense.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert