Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: "Easy" modern pieces  (Read 873 times)

Offline romanticperiod

• PS Silver Member
"Easy" modern pieces
on: October 03, 2022, 11:04:17 AM
Hi all,
I'm currently learning Ligeti's Arc en Ciel and am looking for something similar to learn next (Schönberg op11 no2 is something I'm thinking about). Some pieces I've played recently are Rachmaninov's prelude in C# minor and Schubert E minor sonata. Any help would be much appriciated  :). (I'm basically trying to create a small list of modern, atonal/dissonant pieces to learn.)

Offline hmoll53

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Easy" modern pieces
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 02:00:02 AM
Schoenberg Op.19 (Very short 6 pieces that are pretty easy, but it's hard to make it sound coherent and actually meaningful).
Webern Op.27 Variations
Scriabin 5 Preludes Op.74
Prokofiev 4 Pieces Op.4
Berg's Sonata if you are into a longer piece. (Not atonal but highly dissonant)
Ravel's Oiseau Tristes (Not atonal)
Bernstein Touches
Copland Passacaglia (Not atonal pretty sure)
Taneiff Prelude and Fugue (Not atonal, but decently dissonant)
Szymanowski Mazurkas Op.50
Carter Catenaires
These are all "modern" pieces on the easier side, majority of them are early 20th century, since the later half of that century consisted of a lot of difficult works (and also because of my limited knowledge on it)
Anyways, here's a list of super difficult modern pieces you may want to listen and maybe try to learn in the future:
Szymanowski - Sonata Op.36
Barber - Sonata Op.26
Prokofiev - Sonata Op.83
Feinberg - Sonata Op.13
Roslavets - Sonata No.1
Bartok - Etudes Op.18
Scriabin - Sonata Op.64
Ginastera - Sonata Op.22
Kapustin - Sonata Op.62 (Not atonal but modern and heavily jazz)
Some Current Repertoire:
Scriabin: Sonatas 2,4 and 5
Chopin: Ballade 1,4, Scherzo 1
Rachmaninoff: Concerto 3
Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit
Barber: Sonata
Beethoven: Appassionata

Offline romanticperiod

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Easy" modern pieces
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 11:21:14 PM
 Hmoll53,
Thanks for the suggestions! Berg’s piano sonata is my favorite piece but im really scared to learn it as I don’t wanna ruin it. I will look into the other pieces you suggested! Except catenaries I wouldn’t be able to play that in a million years  :P

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert