Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Revolutionary Etude in octaves  (Read 611 times)

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Revolutionary Etude in octaves
on: October 05, 2022, 05:48:39 AM
This was famously performed as a 'stunt' by the 19th century pianist, Alexander Dreyschock. Here is my attempt (still a lot of work to do):

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Revolutionary Etude in octaves
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 04:36:59 PM
This was indeed a stunt and strikes me as worth little more than that, whereas Godowsky's left hand only version (transposed into C# minor) is a sheer joy!
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 08:50:31 PM
This was indeed a stunt and strikes me as worth little more than that, whereas Godowsky's left hand only version (transposed into C# minor) is a sheer joy!

Oh- do you also play the Godowsky version?

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 03:00:42 PM
The Etudes are notoriously difficult, if you like octaves, Chopin wrote an octaves Etude in B minor, also notoriously difficult. The Difficulty is musical as well as technical, and yes Godowsky made them more difficult and in some case less appealing. I think every pianist should work on the Chopin Etudes, if you can play them, it's just the beginning. Good luck/
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 08:54:10 PM
The Etudes are notoriously difficult, if you like octaves, Chopin wrote an octaves Etude in B minor, also notoriously difficult. The Difficulty is musical as well as technical, and yes Godowsky made them more difficult and in some case less appealing. I think every pianist should work on the Chopin Etudes, if you can play them, it's just the beginning. Good luck/

I've been playing the Godowsky studies on the Chopin Etudes for about the last 20 years. And the Chopin Etude's themselves for the last 35+ years. So, I definitely agree that they are essential for all pianists!

Still, I think the Revolutionary with the LH in octaves should be a standard challenge, and its very effective played live in this way (In concerts, I can't do the whole thing, but mix up with playing it in the regular way). When Liszt heard Dreyschock do this, he reportedly responded by doing Op. 25, No. 2, with the RH in octaves.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 06:59:51 AM
Oh- do you also play the Godowsky version?
Me? Mon Dieu! I'm not even a pianist!...
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 09:19:49 AM
Me? Mon Dieu! I'm not even a pianist!...

Really? You are very well-informed for a non-pianist.

I do play the Godowsky version myself, but would not program it in a recital- simply because it will tend to 'underwhelm' most audience listeners, and is too much effort. I do sometimes play publicly the l.h. only version of the Op. 25, No. 12 (with a few adaptations).

In defense of this 'stunt', it does make a big impression with audiences. I think it was Rachmaninoff who once advised his pupils: "Just play loud and fast, and the audience will love it!"

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 02:40:31 PM
. I think it was Rachmaninoff who once advised his pupils: "Just play loud and fast, and the audience will love it!"
[/quote]

That does surprise me, Rachmaninoff could/did play very fast, but always piano, he never played very loud.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 07:59:44 AM
That does surprise me, Rachmaninoff could/did play very fast, but always piano, he never played very loud.

I assume it was a kind of jocular remark, to be taken cum grano salis.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 08:11:58 AM
Really? You are very well-informed for a non-pianist.
NOo so sure about that! I am a composer who loves the piano and has written a fair proportion of my work for it!
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert