Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: A strange rhythm  (Read 370 times)

Offline softbn

• PS Silver Member
A strange rhythm
on: October 07, 2022, 03:45:08 PM
Hello. Is this rhythm correct ? I can’t seem to play it evenly. I can’t kind of  count it well. What do you think ?

Offline ignomike

• PS Silver Member
Re: A strange rhythm
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 04:14:25 PM
It makes sense, but isn't very clearly grouped. 2 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 3/8 + 3/8 = 4 .
Play as 1_______ 2_______ 3 __+ __ 4 e +  a      The last note falls between + and a

I think this will sound pretty bad if it's played 'perfectly'! Listen to the original and just go with that.

Offline softbn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 06:00:56 PM
Why is it 3/4 = a dotted eighteenth note is 1/8 or if we count 1/4 if counted by quarter notes ;D can you clarify please?;)

Offline ignomike

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 08:14:32 PM
Not entirely sure what the problem is but maybe my post was unclear.

The numbers and fractions I gave relate to the quarter note beats so this way one quarter note would equal 1 quarter note beat.

Now the first half note = 2 quarter note beats. Then the eighth note rest = 1/2 a beat. A dotted eight note (not eighteenth note I hope!) = 3/4 a quarter note beat or 1/2 for the eighth note and 1/4 for the following dot.

Just noticed my asterisks don't line up any more  >:( let me fix that.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 12:56:23 AM
Technically the rhythm adds up, but it is unnecessarily difficult to read. 
I would think of it more like triplets (see attached).

There are also things that are questionable about that score.  Might want to look for another source.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert