Piano Forum

Topic: My goals have changed.  (Read 531 times)

Offline pierusskiy

• PS Silver Member
My goals have changed.
on: October 14, 2022, 09:25:45 AM
     Hello!
     I'm a 70-80% self-taught piano player and I would love to share my story.

A year ago, I had a very strong dream of becoming a good piano player, attending a outstanding music conservatory. I keep evaluating myself. I thought I wouldn't be able to get to that point.

Since the beginning of 2022, I've spent much less time on the piano because I have to go back to university campus and what I'm learning has nothing to do with art or music.

In the meantime, I got to know a senior who majored in piano performance. I got to know the life of a piano student from what he told me. The life of a piano or music student has its ups and downs or something baffling. These made me realize that I wasn't suited to attending music education in a conservatory music institute. Or if I'm still stubborn about wanting attend it, I wouldn't be happy with the fact that I had to speed up my skill development to keep up with others.

I think I should play the piano with pleasure.  Everything takes time. It's better to practice gradually. That's enough.

Of course, I continued to practice. I wouldn't rush into practicing because I knew how painful it was.

Lastly, I'm happy to answer any other questions. If you have any advice, I'm happy to read it and apply it in my life.

Thank you for reading!

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: My goals have changed.
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:32:18 AM
A year ago, I had a very strong dream of becoming a good piano player, attending a outstanding music conservatory. I keep evaluating myself. I thought I wouldn't be able to get to that point.
Who is to say only good piano players attend conservatories?

I think I should play the piano with pleasure.  Everything takes time. It's better to practice gradually. That's enough.
There still needs to be some kind of pressure pushing you to achieve, it is very easy to merely flounder about and waste time if you are too lenient on yourself. But of course one should take their time to develop, rushing just to compete and comparing yourself with others is a foolish way to generate inspiration.

There is a wise saying "When you can't change the direction of your wind - adjust your sails."
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pierusskiy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 07:06:31 AM
From yours : Who is to say only good piano players attend conservatories?

Hello!

I'm not sure if you mean that there are many pianists who play well without attending a music conservatory or if in another sense?

I've heard that some music conservatory students don't play well at all. They're just playable, doesn't interpret the repertoire come out deeply, understanding the composers or their technique might not be good. These are not 100% my opinion, but, from the piano students talking.

As for myself, I dare not criticize others because I have little experience :(

P.S. I would be very glad if you continue to reply to me.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 02:16:36 AM
I'm not sure if you mean that there are many pianists who play well without attending a music conservatory or if in another sense?
Attending a consevatory isn't the requirement to determine if a pianist is good or not.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ego0720

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 03:20:11 AM
     Hello! … A year ago, I had a very strong dream of becoming a good piano player, attending an outstanding music conservatory.. The life of a piano or music student has its ups and downs or something baffling. These made me realize that I wasn't suited to attending music education in a conservatory music institute...

I know, like most recreations, it’s the 1% who make it. I know there are many great pianists. I know the bar is high. And I know the healthiest way is not to concern oneself with comparisons to others to stay happy.

That all aside, what specifically made you think u weren’t cut out for it? I know those who make it enjoy the journey and it’s said one should to practice 3-6 hours most the week for 15 years before considering themselves worthy if discussing pro level. But they love the process. And I think a few schools emphasize the journey.. not to confine a persons evolution to a period or cycle in life. Anyways this is a hot topic bc I think many passionate players has to cross their mind about following the dream and whether they are cut out. I want to know everyone’s story about it and why they decided for it against it. It would be helpful to us intermediate players on what it takes. There is a huge gap .. an abyss between the universes of piano levels. I’m still gauging the depth and it feels like a bottomless pit of information..

Offline sebastian5434

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 04:32:36 PM
I am a big fan of the piano. There was a time when I thought it wasn't born for me and I wanted to give up. Partly because I have no talent for playing piano. Second, my family wants me to spend my time doing better things. However, I still pursued the subject and became a pianist for big concerts. Occasionally, I also teach piano to the people around me. You see, what matters is not what other people think of you or how difficult it is. The important thing is whether you have the courage to go ahead or if you are passionate enough to pursue it. Good luck.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert