Piano Forum

Topic: Scriabin - Sonata no.9, op.68 'Black Mass'  (Read 556 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin - Sonata no.9, op.68 'Black Mass'
on: November 17, 2022, 03:43:10 PM
here is a live perofrmance of scriabin sonata 9, which was given the title 'Black Mass' by a friend, but Scriabin agreed to it.

in my opinion and many others, it is the most perfect, distilled sonata of his late works, and melodicallya nd harmonically captivating in a powerful way.

i do agree with the 'Black Mass' title, I like to say it is more of a piano séance than a piano sonata. the themes are all transformed by demonic, satanic spirits that have been conjured at the piano. when the spirits fully possess the themes, they bring them to the heights of inflammation, and then depart, leaving behind an empty husk. it is truly an amazing experience.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin - Sonata no.9, op.68 'Black Mass'
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:42:51 PM
I love this sonata, and all I really have to say is - excellent performance!

The only feedback I have is that you could make the mysterious elements even more mysterious. You have a sort of more direct/matter of fact appraoch to some sections or passages that I personally like more creeping. Overall with this piece, what can you do except wring as much creepy evil out of it as possible?  ;D

Offline frodo3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin - Sonata no.9, op.68 'Black Mass'
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 06:14:56 PM
Wonderful performance!  The music world was changing in huge leaps at around the time this Scriabin Sonata #9, Op. 68 was written (1912-13):  Schoenberg op. 11 Three piano pieces in 1909, Stravinsky Rite of Spring in 1912-13.  Congratulations for a fine live performance of this difficult work!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert