Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Romantic Large Scale Work  (Read 1032 times)

Offline thenerdicpianist06

• PS Silver Member
Romantic Large Scale Work
on: November 21, 2022, 10:52:23 AM
Hi everybody,
So I have an important solo recital with plenty of time to prepare in advance and my teacher told me that I should collect some ideas for a large scale romantic work and I am having a bit difficulties there with finding some pieces… I have already played as “large scale works” the first Ballade, the first Scherzo, Polonaise op. 53 from Chopin, Tarantella and Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 from Liszt and Novelette No.8 from Schumann (without chronological order). What could be a good next romantic piece for me? What would you guys suggest?

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Re: Romantic Large Scale Work
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 12:52:53 PM
Seems whether you and your teacher share the same wavelength on "large scale work".

In any case, maybe moving on to longer works of Chopin, Liszt, Schumann, Brahms that are more than 15-20 minutes?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 11:25:34 PM
The Liszt sonata is pretty large scale!  :-*

Offline bachmoninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 09:36:25 PM
Hi thenerdicpianist06!
You’ve definitely played a good amount of 8-12 minute large scale works. I’d have to agree with symphonicdance that you should go for a longer large scale work:

Here are a few good ones to look at

Schumann sonatas 1-3: I am partial to the 2nd sonata and it is probably the one closet to your level. Difficult, but totally manageable.

Chopin sonatas 2-3: very magnificent and difficult works but would definitely be worth a shot. They are both around 26 minutes, so very long.

Schubert sonatas (romantic-ish):the later ones are larger, the big Bb is my favorite. The C minor is also very good.

Brahms-Handel variations: extremely tricky but one of my favorite pieces of all time. The fugue is absolutely wild.

Liszt Dante sonata

Liszt Sonata B minor or Rachmaninov sonata No. 2: if you could handle them lmao. Incredibly difficult and mature.

There are a lot more of these works out there but these are just a few suggestions. You can also check out Medtner and Alkan and other works by Brahms, Schumann, Chopin and Liszt.

Note: the most important thing about picking a large scale work is to make sure you love the work and not base it on other people’s opinions or base it on difficulty. Just a little bit of advice
Bach - WTC no.16 Bk 1
Beethoven - Piano Sonata op. 7
Chopin - op. 10 no. 7 & op. 25 no. 6
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz no. 1
Prokofiev - Piano Sonata no. 2
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 2

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 10:10:29 PM
Note: the most important thing about picking a large scale work is to make sure you love the work and not base it on other people’s opinions or base it on difficulty. Just a little bit of advice

Absolutely, I remember slaving through some larger works I didn't really like as a student and it sucked. Learning something you love and is excited about is a breeze for comparison. Maybe that's stating the obvious but if anyone else is like me and didn't get the memo it's worth remembering :P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert