Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Thoughts on the Music of Enrique Soro  (Read 1011 times)

Offline swilliams002

• PS Silver Member
Thoughts on the Music of Enrique Soro
on: November 26, 2022, 06:40:05 PM
I was wondering what people think of the music of Enrique Soro, the Chilean composer. I've been listening to his music lately, and I'm not sure what to think of it. It doesn't seem readily accessible to the listener, at least not to me. But what do you guys think? Specifically, how good do you think his music is? Is it comparable to a Rachmaninoff or a Medtner in terms of quality? (Not asking about stylistic similarities.)
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." - Jeremias 29, 13
Sergey Rachmaninoff:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles
Nikolay Medtner:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Thoughts on the Music of Enrique Soro
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 07:44:08 PM
I was wondering what people think of the music of Enrique Soro, the Chilean composer. I've been listening to his music lately, and I'm not sure what to think of it. It doesn't seem readily accessible to the listener, at least not to me. But what do you guys think? Specifically, how good do you think his music is? Is it comparable to a Rachmaninoff or a Medtner in terms of quality? (Not asking about stylistic similarities.)
"Comparable to a Rachmaninoff or Medtner in terms of quality" would be a very big ask indeed. At least he has the distinction, along with Fernando Sor, of sharing the first three letters of his surname with Sorabji! - speaking of which, when many years ago I happened to mention in company at Royal College of Music in London that I was about to make a visit to a nearby music library to pick up some scores, a guitar student asked if I would mind getting some Sor guitar works for her while I was there and, having agreed to do so, I looked for them and found amongst them a large oblong volume in the correct place alphabetically but the wrong one instrumentally whose spine announced itself as "Sorabji: Opus Clavicembalisticum" and, having pulled some Sor guitar pieces off the shelf, I took this one down out of sheer curiosity and took it to a desk to peruse it - and he rest, as they say, is history...
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert