Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Page turning technique?  (Read 290 times)

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Page turning technique?
on: December 20, 2022, 04:43:13 AM
The scores I have to work with to accompany my school choir are horrible. They are cheap copies, the same as those that the choir use, a full conductor's score. This means I have to turn pages every 13-15 bars, and even worse, they are loose folded pages that fall apart. I've taken care of that by placing them in a ringed binder, but now they are extremely hard to turn, and will often flip back to the previous page. I can't find any better copies. Any techniques for page turning, as this is my first experience with non-solo repertoire(where apparently you're supposed to use the sheet music instead of memorizing)?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Page turning technique?
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 06:56:08 AM
Practice... I fold the bottom right hand corner of every page, then I find the best spot somewhere before the end of the page to page turn and write an acronym 'P.T.' to remind me.

Then it comes down to proprioception. The ability to get your hand off the keyboard, turn the page as quick as you can and get that hand back to the piano. I've got it down pat pretty damn well. I've been accompanying choirs for 15 years.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert