Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Practicing scales when you have wide hands  (Read 246 times)

Offline u_chelva

• PS Silver Member
Practicing scales when you have wide hands
on: December 24, 2022, 05:32:17 AM
Hi all,

I am a two-year-old piano student who has been taking lessons from a teacher for more than a year now. I practice and play almost daily, but I am having difficulty playing the C major scale. My hands are wide, and my thenar webspace (the muscle between the thumb and pointer finger) is bulkier than normal, which makes it difficult for me to tuck my thumb under my third and fourth fingers. The approach my teacher suggests is not helping me, and I have hit a barrier with the speed at which I can play the scales. Is there any way I can get past this barrier?

Offline martinn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing scales when you have wide hands
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 04:55:48 PM
Play slower now, and some time you will notice that the awkward move can be done much faster. Don’t hurry.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert