Piano Forum logo
August 19, 2018, 09:43:31 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Pianist's Pianist

The Czech pianist Ivan Moravec's recordings for Connoisseur Society were notable for their audiophile quality and nearly all of them remain available, long after the LP era, on CD reissues. He is described by New Grove as one of the finest Chopin interpreters of that century. Listen to Moravec recording and discussing Chopin. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fingering problem in Chopin Prelude No. 15  (Read 1653 times)
bttay
PS Silver Member

« on: February 16, 2005, 03:54:33 AM »

How should I play the 9th bar in Chopin's Prelude no. 15?

The left hand  is stressed from low D to F. My hand is just not big enough for that. Should I play the F with my right hand? If so there is another problem of the inconsistancy of tone as the piece progresses.

Thanks.  Smiley
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Prelude (Raindrop)
Egghead
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 06:18:57 PM »

The left hand  is stressed from low D to F. My hand is just not big enough for that.
Hi bttay,
I am only a student myself, and my LH does not do this stretch from Dflat to F either...  Wink
Should I play the F with my right hand? If so there is another problem of the inconsistancy of tone as the piece progresses.
Using RH is what my teacher also suggested, and I didnt find it awkward. (I was going to use my nose, but he disapproves Grin). More seriously: What do you mean by "inconsistancy of tone"? Where exactly ("as the piece progresses") does it arise?

Regards, Egghead

tell me why I only practice on days I eat
janice
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 06:52:39 PM »

I think it's perfectly fine to use your right hand.  But make sure that you bring out the high F  (most likely, with finger 5) and ease up on your thumb, so that the lower F (played with your thumb). Smiley

Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!
bttay
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 02:08:18 AM »

I think it's perfectly fine to use your right hand.  But make sure that you bring out the high F  (most likely, with finger 5) and ease up on your thumb, so that the lower F (played with your thumb). Smiley

Thank you guys for your helpful answers.

EggHead, I think Janice has just answered to my question about the problem of the tone being different when I have to play the two "F"s in octave with RH. Without enough practice, the high F is going to sound weaker then the other notes in the melody. Look like I have to practice more.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: