Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Fingering problem in Chopin Prelude No. 15  (Read 2504 times)

Offline bttay

• PS Silver Member
Fingering problem in Chopin Prelude No. 15
on: February 16, 2005, 03:54:33 AM
How should I play the 9th bar in Chopin's Prelude no. 15?

The left hand  is stressed from low D to F. My hand is just not big enough for that. Should I play the F with my right hand? If so there is another problem of the inconsistancy of tone as the piece progresses.

Thanks.  :)

Offline Egghead

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering problem in Chopin Prelude No. 15
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 06:18:57 PM
The left hand  is stressed from low D to F. My hand is just not big enough for that.
Hi bttay,
I am only a student myself, and my LH does not do this stretch from Dflat to F either...  ;)
Should I play the F with my right hand? If so there is another problem of the inconsistancy of tone as the piece progresses.
Using RH is what my teacher also suggested, and I didnt find it awkward. (I was going to use my nose, but he disapproves ;D). More seriously: What do you mean by "inconsistancy of tone"? Where exactly ("as the piece progresses") does it arise?

Regards, Egghead
tell me why I only practice on days I eat

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 06:52:39 PM
I think it's perfectly fine to use your right hand.  But make sure that you bring out the high F  (most likely, with finger 5) and ease up on your thumb, so that the lower F (played with your thumb). :)
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline bttay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 02:08:18 AM
I think it's perfectly fine to use your right hand.  But make sure that you bring out the high F  (most likely, with finger 5) and ease up on your thumb, so that the lower F (played with your thumb). :)

Thank you guys for your helpful answers.

EggHead, I think Janice has just answered to my question about the problem of the tone being different when I have to play the two "F"s in octave with RH. Without enough practice, the high F is going to sound weaker then the other notes in the melody. Look like I have to practice more.  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert