Piano Forum

Topic: 20th century jazz composers (like the ones with a score like kapustin)  (Read 504 times)

Offline mavis_

• PS Silver Member
so college apps are coming soon and I was wondering if any of you can recommend me 20th century composers that have a jazzy feel like kapustin or gershwin in order for my pieces to have a contrast. Or is kapustin considered a 20th century composer??? thanks in advance

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Not exactly like Kapustin but Erwin Schulhoff wrote some kind of jazzy music.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Constant Lambert was heavily influenced by jazz. “New Orleans Streets” by David Thomas Roberts also springs to mind.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline firepanda

• PS Silver Member
Honestly your options are pretty limited.
  • Gershwin and Kapustin you've mentioned.
  • Daniel Kramer collaborated with Kapustin
  • Bolling is great, but I don't think he wrote much for piano.
  • You've got ragtime and miniature composers like Joplin, Morton and Mayerl. But put "light music" in an application at your own risk.
  • The Gershwin/Wild etudes are well-respected but in my opinion fail as jazz (I really don't like them).
  • Gulda didn't compose much, but check out his variations, P+F and the "play piano play" studies.
  • You could also do a transcription of one of Tatum or Peterson's improvisations. Yuja Wang did it
  • Heui Sung Kim (hesangasong on youtube) has some excellent (very pianistic) arrangements that might work as a finisher

Offline krncandi

• PS Silver Member
Many of Bolcom's music is heavily jazz influenced. Mainly ragtime and boogie woogie but there's strong elements of jazz as well

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
But
 you have the Kap with his incredible output and mastery and damn incredible piano writing (I mean dang he studied with Goldenweiser for crying freaking out loud , dang), what is lacking from so much of his output that alternatives are needed ?
His late Op are not performed often yet , seeously great stuff in the Op numbers over 100...

I have answers this multiple times over the years but feeling generous so rather than just saying use Seach will sling some of what I'm feeling since there is a lot of options out there in this idiom...

Rosenblatt is high tier writing , this one is super cool

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
 Working this in bits and pieces whole I along thru all 8 of Kap's Op 40
This is dang cool, hard as heck but worth it level cool

Shohei Amimori

The kid was in high school when he wrote this few years ago, he's a legit pro. Level composer now

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
There's another set of 8 jazz etudes that are really special also by Rodenblatt, these are great due to writing allowing smaller hands to navigate here's no 5

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert