Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Is HR2 too popular for an audition/competition?  (Read 568 times)

Offline hsding

• PS Silver Member
Is HR2 too popular for an audition/competition?
on: January 18, 2023, 02:25:44 AM
I finished the 2nd Ballade and was looking for new Romantic rep, and my teacher suggested Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Liszt's Transcendental Etude No. 10, or a Chopin Scherzo. Would HR2 be too popular for competitions? And is TE 10 "substantial" enough?

Offline firepanda

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is HR2 too popular for an audition/competition?
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:04:51 AM
I personally try to avoid ultra-popular pieces like the Hungarian Rhapsody, Revolutionary etude, Liebestraume 3 in competitions. I imagine most adjudicators will not only have played them but are pretty sick of them.  HR2 might also be a bit long for a competition?

But if you really want to play it, you should play it -- every pianist should know these pieces.

TE10 is absolutely a substantial work, plenty of pianists have won competitions with it. The scherzi and HR2 have a lot of repetition so it's not like they have that much more material anyway.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert